Confusion grows as single-use plastic bag ban comes into effect in NSW tomorrow

·

Marking a major pivot away from single-use plastics, the NSW Government’s ban on lightweight plastic bags will come into force tomorrow.

Single-use plastic bags will be the first plastic item to be phased out in NSW this year. From November, more problematic plastics, such as cutlery and plates, will be banned.

According to the Government, the ban will prevent almost 2.7 billion items of plastic litter from entering the environment in NSW over the next 20 years.

“We each have the power to make positive environmental change at an individual level, and I encourage everyone to choose to go plastic-free as often as they can,” NSW Minister for Environment, James Griffin, said.

The ban, however, has caused some confusion among the public and small businesses.

According to a statement by NSW Labor, many retailers are reporting they only found out about the ban last week and are now facing massive fines or having to dispose of thousands of dollars’ worth of bags to landfill. 

The Shadow Minister for Small Business, Steve Kamper, said “this is a disaster for both the environment and small business.”

“NSW Labor strongly supports the ban on light-weight plastic bags, but the government has completely failed to properly communicate with businesses,” Mr Kamper said.

NSW Labor is calling on the government to step up the public awareness campaign, particularly ahead of further changes in November. 

In response, the Minister for Small Business, Eleni Petinos, said the NSW Government is supporting more than 40,000 businesses across the state to phase-out single-use plastics.

“The NSW Government has worked with stakeholders to support small businesses to understand how they will be affected, how to comply with new laws and what alternatives they can use to single-use plastics,” Ms Petinos said.

“Through the National Retail Association, we’re running a retailer education campaign, conducting store visits, and providing online webinars and resources to help businesses make the adjustment away from single-use plastics.”

For more information about the NSW plastics ban, visit here.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released as Epstein-linked probe continues

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

You May Also Like

Archbishop Makarios of Australia sends message to mark 81st anniversary of the Battle of Crete

His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message to mark the 81st anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Greek-owned Sutherland Shire Auto Centre destroyed by fire in Kirrawee

Directors of the Centre, Peter and Sonia Paloumpis, said they are looking "for a shop to work out of to keep the Aussie dream going for everyone."

Ukrainian refugees in Greece top 20,000 as Russia launches new eastern offensive

More than 20,094 Ukrainian refugees, of which 5,754 are children, have arrived in Greece since the start of Russia's invasion on February 24.