Chanel Contos comments on Australia’s domestic violence crisis

·

A recent study has found a spike in the number of women who die in Australia due to domestic violence.

ABC News reported that six women have been killed in the last 10 days, with five allegedly killed by domestic violence from men. That brings this year’s domestic violence death toll of women in Australia to 58.

Experts have said deaths by domestic violence are a national crisis that need to be addressed and solutions need to be found.

Chanel Contos, a domestic violence awareness advocate, also highlighted the lack of media coverage on the 58 women allegedly killed due to domestic violence.

50 women died of domestic violence in 2022. Photo: Mamamia.

“Where is the coverage for that? Matthew Perry, from Friends died last week, every single media outlet in Australia covered it,” she said to the National Press Club on Wednesday.

“What about the deaths of the [58 women], why is that not covered by the same amount of media outlets and given the same attention?”

Ms Contos said just like teachers have training to be transformative actors for change, “so should the media”.

“We need to stop with the click-baity headlines, that’s trauma bait from someone’s travesty,” she said.

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Pope Leo XIV in Turkey: Dialogue and the renewed push for a unified Easter date

Pope Leo XIV’s first apostolic journey to Istanbul marked a historic moment in Catholic–Orthodox relations, bringing three days of prayer.

Federal Court rules against Jason Karas in multimillion-dollar partnership dispute

The Federal Court has found Adelaide lawyer Jason Karas engaged in a “dishonest and fraudulent design” to establish a global legal venture.

Election results for GOCNSW Board 2025–2027 confirmed

The Greek Orthodox Community of New South Wales (GOCNSW) held its Board election on Sunday, November 30, 2025.

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

You May Also Like

Sophie Cotsis demands action over Service NSW cyber attack which saw 3.8 million documents stolen

It comes after Ms Cotsis, who has been holding the Government to account over the breach, discovered she is among the 186,000 people whose information was stolen.

Kirin Georgi follows in the footsteps of her ancestor and the first Greek in Australia, Gikas Voulgaris

Kirin Georgi tells The Greek Herald how she followed in the footsteps of her ancestor and the first Greek in Australia, Gikas Voulgaris.

Greece heads to new election after leaders fail to form coalition

A new general election has been called two days after Kyriakos Misotakis' New Democracy party won Greece's first national election on Sunday.