Bronze statue of Greek god stolen from estate in England

·

A large bronze statue of a Greek god has been stolen from the garden of an Elizabethan stately home.

According to BBC, the sculpture of the deity Hermes, has sat in a pond in the grounds of Holdenby House near Northampton for more than 100 years.

James Lowther, the estate owner, expressed deep distress over the theft, stating, “”His theft is almost unbearable for us, and everyone at Holdenby – and we – are praying for his return.”

It is believed thieves gained access via the A428 with a vehicle.

Mr Lowther said: “Mercury (the Roman name for the Greek god Hermes) has been such an important icon for Holdenby and something I have loved since I was a child.

“It is heart-breaking to see this much-loved piece of public art so crudely and cruelly cut from his pedestal. “Those who stole him saw only a piece of metal that could be absconded with for private profit.” He added: “We live in hope that he will be returned home and urge anyone with information to come forward.”

Photo by Pixabay

The estate spokesperson lamented the loss, emphasizing that the statue was a significant replica of the renowned Seated Hermes, unearthed from Herculaneum in 1758.

“His theft is a loss not only of an important historic work of art, but of a landmark feature much loved by the family, the community and Holdenby’s visitors.”

A Northamptonshire Police spokesperson said: “Officers are now appealing for anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area during the stated times, or who has any information about the theft, to get in touch.”

Source: BBC

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Melbourne’s A-league matches pushed back due to Orthodox Easter celebrations

The starting time for Sunday’s A-League elimination final has been pushed back by two hours due to a time clash with Orthodox Easter.

Community TV stations Channel 31 and Channel 44 given three-year lifeline

A three-year reprieve has been granted to Australia's only remaining community television (CTV) stations in a surprise vote.

Man steals Star of David from Holocaust monument in Northern Greece

A monument to Holocaust victims was vandalized in a Greek city whose synagogue was the target of an anti-Semitic attack last week. The perpetrators of...