Coroner hands down findings on Gargasoulas’ 2017 Bourke Street rampage


James Gargasoulas’s murderous Bourke Street rampage was helped by a “perfect storm” of police deficiencies, which led to a “confluence of events” that worked in the killer’s favour, a Victorian coroner has found.

Gargasoulas is currently serving at least 46 years in jail for murdering six people and injuring 27 others by driving a Holden Commodore through the Bourke Street Mall on January 20, 2017.

Coroner Jacqui Hawkins delivered her findings following an inquest into the deaths, and said “poor planning, a lack of assertive leadership [and a] lack of adequate resources,” combined with “inflexible attitudes,” allowed Gargasoulas to roam across Melbourne before speeding through the lunchtime crowds in Melbourne’s CBD.

James Gargasoulas’s murderous Bourke Street rampage was helped by a “perfect storm” of police deficiencies, a Victorian coroner has found.

Ms Hawkins said a plan to persuade Gargasoulas to surrender was destined to fail. She said a formal pursuit should have been called, and a failure to do so led to a lack of oversight.

But the coroner said she was unable to determine if the murders would have been prevented if any circumstance had been different, saying stopping moving offenders was “incredibly difficult.”

‘Strategy never had a chance of succeeding’:

Gargasoulas had been pursued by police since the early hours of the morning of January 20 after he stabbed his brother Angelo.

Gargasoulas is serving at least 46 years in prison for killing six people and injuring 27 others. Photo: AAP/Stefan Postles.

A search for him began about an hour after the stabbing, but police failed to stop him until after his deadly attacks at about 1:30pm.

About half an hour before the killings, Detective Murray Gentner, who had several previous interactions with Gargasoulas including at his bail hearing six days earlier, tried to negotiate for Gargasoulas to surrender.

“The strategy never had a chance of succeeding,” Ms Hawkins said.

The coroner noted police came agonisingly close to stopping Gargasoulas as he drove towards the city, but said police were fearful of the consequences of ramming his car.

She said police had done much “soul searching”, and that a number of changes to policy on pursuits had already been made, limiting the need to make drastic findings.

Out of respect for the families of the dead, Ms Hawkins did not use Gargasoulas’s name when delivering her findings.

Source: ABC News.




By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.


Latest News

Acropolis closed as Greece hit by earliest heatwave on record

Greece closed its most popular tourist site, the Acropolis, on Wednesday as the country experiences its earliest heatwave on record.

Emmanuel Karalis secures silver medal at European Athletics Championship

Emmanuel Karalis secured the silver medal in the pole vault final held on the last day of the European Athletics Championships in Rome.

George Diakomichalis keeps family traditions alive at Kalymnos Pastries in SA

Are you looking for somewhere to indulge in authentic Greek sweets and pastries? If so, then Kalymnos Pastries might just be the place.

Restaurateur Chris Lucas set to define a new dining destination for Melbourne

Australian restaurateur Chris Lucas announced he will bring his elegant style and sophisticated design to 435 Bourke Street, Melbourne.

Elfa Moraitakis joins Multicultural NSW Advisory Board

Multicultural NSW has welcomed two new voices to the Multicultural NSW Advisory Board and reappointed two current members.

You May Also Like

Site of iconic Olympia Milk Bar in Sydney goes up for sale

The site of the iconic Olympia Milk Bar in the inner west Sydney suburb of Stanmore has gone up for sale for the first time in over 60 years.

Stefanos Kasselakis elected new SYRIZA leader

35-year-old Stefanos Kasselakis has been elected the new leader of the left-wing, main opposition SYRIZA party.

Close to 150 migrants test positive for coronavirus at quarantined hotel in Kranidi

Greek authorities said Tuesday that 150 people tested positive for the novel coronavirus at a quarantined seaside hotel housing 470 asylum-seekers.