Applications now open for inaugural $10,000 Military History Prize in NSW

·

Applications are now open for the inaugural $10,000 Anzac Memorial Trustees Military
History Prize – a new annual award within the prestigious NSW Premier’s History
Awards.

Minister for Transport, Veterans and Western Sydney David Elliott said the
establishment of the award highlighted the importance of recording our military history
to honour and remember our veterans.

“Capturing our military history is vital in ensuring future generations are educated on
the service and sacrifice of Australians in armed conflicts,” Mr Elliott said.

“This prize is not only an important acknowledgement of the work which is already
being done to record the events and stories of those who served in conflict and
peacekeeping missions but also provides an avenue for that work to be shared more
widely.

“This is another step in ensuring the sacrifices of all those who have served in the
defence forces and military operations continue to be profiled as part of the nation’s
military history, so our veterans will not be forgotten.

“I encourage all historians with an interest in our military history to apply for this award
as it will help future generations learn about and understand the bravery, dedication
and legacy of our veterans,” Mr Elliott said.

The Military History Prize is for a work of non-fiction on the involvement of Australians
in wars, campaigns, battles and/or peacekeeping operations which are represented in
the Anzac Memorial’s Hall of Service.

The Hall of Service displays 100 international sites of military significance for NSW service personnel from the 19th Century to more recent military operations.

In the Anzac spirit, the Prize is open to citizens and permanent residents of Australia
and New Zealand. Entries close on 6 April with winners announced in September 2023.

he Anzac spirit, the Prize is open to citizens and permanent residents of Australia
and New Zealand. Entries close on 6 April with winners announced in September

For more information visit: https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/awards/nsw-premiershistory-awards

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Steve Dimopoulos MP slams Victorian Coalition’s ambitious emissions pledge

Victorian Tourism Minister, Steve Dimopoulos, has slammed the Coalition's election pledge to legislate an interim emissions reduction target.

Historic link between Battle of Crete and ANZACs a focus of Sydney commemorations

The historic link between the Battle of Crete and the ANZAC forces were a key focus of commemorations in Sydney.

Greece, Cyprus, Egypt strengthen energy cooperation

The trilateral deal signed last week will see Egypt set up undersea cables to supply its solar-powered electricity across the Mediterranean.