Aged care CEO, Chris Mamarelis, says impact of COVID-19 on sector still a threat

·

Although it looks as though life has returned to some form of normality in Australia, the country continues to record 45,000 COVID-19 cases per day.

Just last week alone, there were also over 780 active outbreaks in aged care facilities. A sure sign that the sector continues to be under pressure.

Chris Mamarelis, the chief executive of Whiddon Aged Care which runs 20 centres across NSW and Queensland, spoke about this issue to ABC News.

“We’re seeing a lot of staff that are having to isolate who are contracting COVID,” Mr Mamarelis told ABC News.

“We’re not finding the backup – they’re just not there. So there’s immense pressure [particularly] in those regional locations where team members are working 12-hour shifts.”

Mr Mamarelis said the high case numbers were taking a devastating toll on the aged care workforce and he was worried about reinfection. 

Figures from across the country show there are now tens of thousands of Australians who have had COVID more than once.

FULL STORY: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Art exhibition at Sydney’s ANZAC Memorial to honour veterans’ service in Greece and Crete

Lustre is a powerful collection of art works and short films exploring the Allied campaigns in Greece and Crete during the Second World War.

Andrea Michaels appointed Associate Justice of South Australia’s Supreme Court

Cypriot Australian Andrea Michaels has been appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia.

Peter Antoniou named on Young Socceroos Squad for 2026 Asean U19 Boys Championship

CommBank Young Socceroos Head Coach Trevor Morgan has selected a 23-player squad for the 2026 ASEAN U-19 Boys’ Championship.

St George Youth League team makes a statement

The St George Youth League Men’s team delivered one of their most impressive performances of the season on Saturday afternoon.

Heidelberg United vows to fight AFC Champions League 2 exclusion in formal appeal

Heidelberg United FC has confirmed it will launch a formal legal appeal after being denied entry into the 2026-27 AFC Champions League Two.

You May Also Like

The loneliness epidemic: Why aren’t we talking about it more?

Loneliness remains one of the most common, yet frequently overlooked, emotional struggles among adults—especially young adults.

Canberra marks World Greek Language Day with diplomacy, culture and community

The Embassy of Greece in Australia, in partnership with the Greek Orthodox Community and Church of Canberra (GOCCC).

Man sentenced for attacking former Cumberland Mayor Steve Christou

A man who attacked former Cumberland Mayor Steve Christou outside a polling booth on council election day has avoided a conviction.