George Calombaris opens up on ‘hard’ toll of empire collapse

·

Former Masterchef host, George Calombaris, has revealed today in an interview with the Herald Sun what emotionally devastated him most about his restaurant collapse, while also vowing “to do good things” following a wage scandal.

“The hard thing was to see how my team suffered,” Calombaris said in the interview, while stressing that the past three years were “very hard.”

“I’m really excited the last of them is now overseas cooking in an amazing place in Singapore. All my head chefs and managers are in great places and doing great things and that makes me really happy.”

READ MORE: Calombaris’ empire crumbles as he places 22 businesses in voluntary administration.

Calombaris’ restaurant empire, MAdE Establishment Group, collapsed in February last year. Photo: Ten.

The former Jimmy Grants and Hellenic Republic chef has been missing from the public eye over the last few months or so, but he says he is excited to re-emerge.

“I’m really excited about this year, I think personally I will never go back to the crazy world that I used to live in,’’ Calombaris told the Herald Sun.

“I really enjoyed my family [wife Natalie and their two children] because I was never really around for them. Being around them for the last nine months, I’ve missed out on a lot.”

Calombaris’ restaurant empire, MAdE Establishment Group, collapsed in February last year. It came after the business was beset by reputational damage following a $7.8 million underpayment scandal.

READ MORE: George Calombaris restaurant empire’s collapse costs taxpayers $1 million.

“If I keep looking backwards I’m going to get a sore neck. So I just look forward and I want to do good things,” he said.

Do this involve a TV return? Colambaris said yes, but it’ll be on his terms.

“After you come off what was one of the most incredible television shows in MasterChef, I’m very grateful I’ve had time to just breathe and time to spend with my family,’’ he said.

“I love television and I will do it again but it’s got to represent who I am and talk about the story. Hopefully I’ll be able to help people through all of my good, bad and ugly.”

READ MORE: George Calombaris sells Toorak mansion to help settle $8.5 million debt.

Source: Herald Sun.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Greek tanker owners rejoin Russian oil trade

U.S. sanctions have reduced Russia's reliance on "shadow fleet" tankers, but Moscow continues to generate about $700 million daily.

Stefanos Tsitsipas sweeps into Monte Carlo quarterfinals

Stefanos Tsitsipas continues unbeaten in Monte Carlo, easily defeating Nicolas Tsari in 93 minutes, marking his 12th consecutive win,

Suspected smugglers face court over migrant shipwreck off Greece

Nine men charged over the shipwreck off Greece that killed at least 82 migrants, denied any wrongdoing in a Greek court on Tuesday.