This Karidopita (Greek walnut cake), straight of the oven with some hot fresh syrup is your winter cake dream!
Helen Demetriou is back from Helen’s Kouzina to tell us how to make the perfect Karidopita.
This is what you will need:
1 cup of caster sugar
1 tablespoon cognac (optional)
1 cup of canola oil
1/2 cup semi warm milk
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 crushed cinnamon clove
2 cups crushed walnuts
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
1 cinnamon stick
A slice of lemon rind
Boil the syrup for 15 mins and then let it cool completely, it’s best to pour over the cake when the cake is straight out of the oven.
1.Start by beating your sugar and oil until it’s creamy. Add one egg at a time and keep mixing.
2. Add vanilla and cognac.
3. Slowly add in the flour and then milk.
4. Lastly, fold in the walnuts.
5. Bake on 170 degrees for 40 mins or until your knife is clear once you test the cake.
6. Pour syrup over the cake, cold syrup, warm cake
Rosewater scented cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter, room temperature
- 1 package, 224g) Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 to 3 cups (360g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon rose water
Beat in the rosewater. With the mixer running on low speed to start, slowly add in 2 cups of the powdered sugar.
Add more powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time to the frosting until you get your desired level of sweetness and thickness.