NSW Premier replies to 7-year-old boy’s letter who couldn’t celebrate birthday in lockdown

·

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has responded to a 7-year-old boy’s letter expressing his feelings about the fact that he was not able to celebrate his birthday due to the lockdown.

A few days before his birthday, George Vrahas wrote to the Premier to let her know “he was really upset that he can’t go to school, can’t go out and can’t celebrate with his family and friends.”

“Mum, we need to sit down and have a serious discussion. I need you to write a letter to auntie Gladys to tell her how I feel,” George told his mother, Christine.

“He was overwhelmed and concerned with the lockdown and wanted to write the letter because he knows the Premier would read it and reply to him,” Christine said.

George Vrahas and his 4-year-old sister Elizabeth holding the letter from the Premier. Photo: Supplied

Last year, during the first lockdown with another letter to the Premier, George inquired whether the Easter Bunny would be able to visit and he received a reply along with a bag of Easter eggs.

In her recent correspondence with the young Greek Australian, the Premier says that “while it’s disappointing that we are not able to celebrate special occasions with family and friends, it’s important that we follow the health advice to keep us all safe during this time.”

Closing with a handwritten P.S. note, Berejiklian signs as ‘Auntie Gladys’.

“He’s happy he got an acknowledgement from someone we see on the news,” said Christine stressing that this lockdown has been difficult and draining especially for parents with multiple children who work and homeschool.

“The children are also suffering and I’m glad George took the initiative to speak to me about it and to have a voice that is being heard. We always worry about our mental health but we often forget about the kids,” Christine said.

Asking George if he has a message to share with other kids who also have to hold off their birthday celebrations until the lockdown ends, he says “it will be okay.”

greek film festival sydney new

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Australian Ambassador to Greece meets with Dodecanese MP to discuss bilateral ties

Mika Iatridis, Dodecanese MP, held a productive meeting with Australian Ambassador to Greece, Alison Duncan, in Athens.

Carnival festivities cancelled across Greece as two new coronavirus cases found

Two new cases have been tested positive on coronavirus, Greek health authorities announced on Thursday.

Melbourne bayside suburb to commemorate Imbros and the ANZAC connection

Sunday, March 23 will witness the unveiling of a special plaque in Hampton in recognition of the role of Imbros in the Gallipoli campaign.