Greece’s Thessaloniki Documentary Festival postponed due to Coronavirus fears

·

With just days until it was due to launch, the 2020 Thessaloniki Documentary Festival — the sister event to Greece’s well-establish Thessaloniki International Film Festival — has been postponed amid growing coronavirus fears. 

The announcement was made Monday, with organisers saying the decision came following the latest announcement issued by the World Health Organisation, which updated its estimation concerning the coronavirus spread. It is also in accordance with the country’s Ministry of Culture & Sports, alongside the administration of the Thessaloniki International Film Festival. 

The 22nd edition of the festival was due to take place March 5-15.

“The safety of the working staff, the audience, the city’s residents and the Festival’s guests from both Greece and abroad are our top-notch priority,” organizers said, adding that they were considering shifting the festival to the end of May/beginning of June.

Despite the decision, the festival said that many of its industry and development-focused initiatives and projects would still take place, but online. 

The Thessaloniki Documentary Festival follows a growing number of entertainment industry events that have been postponed amid the worsening coronavirus outbreak.

In early February, the Hong Kong International Film Festival and Hong Kong Filmart were postponed from March to August, with Filmart now taking place Aug. 27-29 and the film festival yet to confirm dates. Last week, Italy’s Far East Festival moved it’s 22nd edition from April 24-May 2 to June 26-July 4.

Sourced by: Hollywood Reporter

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Cyprus Community of NSW supports the Steve Waugh Foundation

The Cyprus Community of NSW has announced its support for the work of the Steve Waugh Foundation at a supper club fundraiser.

Lendlease to begin construction on Melbourne’s ‘The Fox: NGV Contemporary’

Construction on Melbourne’s highly anticipated contemporary gallery and urban garden, The Fox: NGV Contemporary, is set to begin.

Syrian toddler has drowned after wondering from refugee camp

Greek authorities say a Syrian toddler has drowned at a beach in southern Greece after the boy wandered away from his parents and exited...