Winner of SA’s eventful Blessing of the Waters to be presented with his award next week

·

It was an eventful afternoon for faithful and attendees of the Annual Blessing of the Waters held in Glenelg, South Australia on Sunday.

“I understand that there was a competition for the cross today but in two forms. A lawful one and an unlawful one,” Bishop Silouan of Sinope told the crowd after it was made clear that the man who reached the cross first had not registered and was already in the water and not at the shore with the other swimmers.

The man, who later identified himself as ‘Victor’ refused to hand the cross to the priests and was later escorted off site by a police officer for questioning.

During the negotiations, church representatives and the priests were urging the police for the matter to be resolved peacefully. 

The cross was returned to the church later during the day.

According to an announcement published on the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia (Archdiocesan District of Adelaide) social media pages on Sunday evening, Andreas Pavlou, the official winner of the Epiphany ceremony, will be presented with his award on Sunday, 17 January.

Speaking to The Greek Herald, Mr Pavlou said he feels blessed to be the winner.

“I was very pleased and excited when I was announced the winner. It was my fifth time going for the cross and I gave it my all and tried my hardest to get the cross. I feel very blessed”.

Although it was a first for Adelaide, a similar event unfolded last year in Port Melbourne’s ceremony when an interloper reached the cross before the 25 registered swimmers. 

*All photos Copyright ©️The Greek Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Greek teen killed in armed robbery in Brazil

Tragedy struck a Greek family living in Brazil when Theodore Kattavenos, originally from Psinthos, Rhodes, was shot dead by robbers.

Restoration completed at Panayia Kanakaria monastery in Cyprus

The monastery and church of Panayia Kanakaria, one of Cyprus’s most significant heritage sites, has now been fully restored.

Kayla Itsines and Tobi Pearce sell SWEAT for $400m

The pair allegedly sold the company for about $100 million more than sources who are familiar with the deal allege it’s worth.