‘Wanted to leave a legacy for my kids’: NSW taxi licence owners repeat calls for fair compensation

·

Chants of ‘we want justice’ and ‘we want fair compensation’ echoed across Sydney’s Martin Place on Thursday, October 20 as around 500 taxi licence owners from across New South Wales gathered to protest against the state government’s recent announcement of a $645 million assistance package for the taxi industry.

Around 500 people attended the protest organised by the NSW Taxi Council.

Under the package, revealed by NSW Treasurer Matt Kean last week, taxi licence owners will receive an additional $500 million in assistance payments as part of a comprehensive $645 million package to fully deregulate the taxi industry and benefit customers long term.

Mr Kean said “the package will provide $100,000 for each eligible Sydney metro taxi licence up to six licences per owner. It will provide up to $130,000 for each taxi licence outside of Sydney with no cap on the number of licences per owner.”

The anger and disappointment of the taxi licence owners towards this government package was clear to see at the Sydney protest outside NSW Parliament on Thursday.

The Greek Herald was on the ground on the day and listened on as a number of politicians took to the stage to express their support of taxi licence owners receiving fair and proper compensation.

Elsewhere, there was also a taxi convoy driving past throughout the entirety of the protest, and various people walking around proudly holding signs with slogans such as: ‘Taxi Owners Want Justice,’ ‘Shame’ and ‘The NSW Government cancelled my retirement.’

Sydney taxi driver, Peter Sorras (right).

One of the protest attendees, Rod, broke down in tears as he told us on the day about the impact of the NSW government’s legalisation of rideshare services such as Uber.

“I’m here to support all the taxi owners like myself. I’ve been doing it for 34 years and I’ve got nothing out of it. I’ve got zero and the government have done that to me. I was hoping to leave a legacy for my kids and I can’t,” Rod said.

Taxi operator, Nolina, also stressed that “we have been poorly done by the government” and said she’s calling for “a more level playing field where the taxi industry can remain viable and sustainable.”

“We are not asking to shut down anyone,” Nolina added, with reference to rideshare services. “It’s just not fair and we’re not taking it anymore.”

Nolina.

Another taxi licence owner, 50-year-old Theo Balafas who was attending with his young children, also called for ‘fair and proper compensation.’

“We borrowed money thinking that the income we would get from the licence plates would service those loans,” the Greek Australian said.

“We haven’t had income for nearly five years now and it doesn’t look like the government is willing to compensate us for that loss of income and not even for the value of the plate.

“So we’re doing this for the future of our kids.”

*All photos by The Greek Herald / Andriana Simos.

READ MORE: Greek community rallies against proposed taxi licence reforms in NSW.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

Kay Pavlou’s ‘Two Homelands’ documentary to be screened in Melbourne

Director Kay Pavlou is taking TWO HOMELANDS in February 2025 to the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

Sydney billionaire Nick Politis buys world’s fastest production car

Sydney businessman and Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis has secured Australia’s only example of the YangWang U9 Xtreme.