Greece ATP Cup player, Michalis Pervolarakis, has revealed he’s tested positive for COVID-19 after travelling from Australia to South Africa.
“I am being patient for this to pass… I am feeling well and I have no symptoms,” Pervolarakis told The Greek Herald, adding that the plan is to go to Cyprus after his quarantine period is finished.
Pervolarakis lost both of his singles matches last week against Australia’s John Millman and Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta at Melbourne Park. His last match was on Friday last week against Spain.
Tennis Australia confirmed to the Herald Sun that the 24-year-old tested negative for the coronavirus on Tuesday, February 9, when he flew out of Melbourne.
It’s unclear exactly when the 24-year-old left Melbourne, but he first broke the coronavirus news on his personal Instagram account.
“After a 24-plus hour travel day from Australia to South Africa I’ve been diagnosed positive to COVID-19,” Pervolarakis posted.
“I am completely asymptomatic at the moment and will have to quarantine in an isolation facility in Potchefstroom.
“I am not a person that complains, but I feel that I need to express my disappointment with the conditions we are in.”
Pervolarakis’s teammates in the ATP Cup last week were world No. 6 Stefanos Tsitsipas – who is into the last 16 at the Australian Open – Petros Tsitsipas and Markos Kalovelonis.
Pervolarakis is ranked 461 in the world in singles and did not compete in the Australian Open.
Tennis Australia has been contacted for comment, the Herald Sun says.
Source: Herald Sun.