Book lovers impressed with Philhellenic line-up at Greek Australian Writers’ Festival

·

Walking into the Greek Australian Writers’ Festival at the Beta Bar in Sydney, I was instantly struck by the scene before me. Hundreds of people were listening intently as authors spoke during individual sessions about their published books of fiction, non-fiction and history. Others were happily browsing the array of books on sale outside.

Eleni Elefterias and Katerina Vetsikas from Sydney’s Greek Bilingual Bookshop were manning the book sale desk and although I could already tell the Writers’ Festival was a huge success, I just had to ask Eleni what she thought of the vibe on the day.

Eleni Elefterias and Katerina Vetsikas. All photos copyright: The Greek Herald / Andriana Simos.
Books for sale.
Effy Alexakis with a happy book buyer.

“The response has been really good,” Eleni says with a smile.

“There’s a lot of non-Greeks writing about Greece that keeps it alive for a lot of people. That’s the only way you create Philhellenism – by having books in English about Greek topics or Greek books translated into English. That’s the best way to introduce people to Greece, Greek culture and Greek literature.

“So I think it’s very important for us to support our local authors… and a lot of people wouldn’t know about these people if we didn’t have these sorts of events.”

Attendees.
George Vardas.
Browsing books.

Directed by Dr Helen Vatsikopoulos and presented by the Greek Festival of Sydney and UTS Journalism and Writing, the Greek Australian Writer’s Festival clearly had one agenda this year – to showcase books by Greek Australian writers and Australian writers telling Greek stories. 

It definitely didn’t disappoint.

Bill Kritharas, Nia Kateris and Dr Helen Vatsikopoulos.
Trade Commissioner and the Consul General.

From 10am until 6pm, there were constant 45-minute author sessions facilitated by a number of renowned journalists and historians such as Anna Patty, Dr Phil Kafcaloudes, Tony Maniaty, David Hill and Dr Vatsikopoulos.

In the first session were Philhellene authors, Susan Johnson (Aphrodite’s Breath) and Peter Polites (God Forgets About The Poor). They spoke about how their books honour their mothers by recounting journeys they had taken with them or by them.

Full house.

Next, Kate Forsyth (The Crimson Thread) and Gail Jones (Salonika Burning) detailed how their fiction books are inspired by historical events that have left an indelible mark on the psyche of Greece.

Historians Nicholas Doumanis (The Edinburgh History of the Greeks) and Jim Claven (Grecian Adventure: Greece 1941, Anzac Trail Stories and Photographs) also opened up on the different ways of telling history through books.

Jim Claven and Nick Doumanis session.

Effy Alexakis (Forty Photographs – A Year at a Time) and Mr Maniaty (New Athenians) spoke about the power of visual storytelling during their session, while Paul Genoni and Tanya Dalziell (co-authors of Half the Perfect World: Writers, Dreamers and Drifters on Hydra, 1955 – 1964) spoke about the Greek island of Hydra and its literary and photographic age.

Effy Alexakis and Tony Maniaty session.
David Hill moderated the talk on Hydra.

In amongst all this was a panel discussion titled Are We ‘White’ Yet? Let’s Talk Diversity which featured Dr Vatsikopoulos, Dr Kafcaloudes, Mr Doumanis, Ms Patty, Paul Farrell and Mary Coustas.

During the discussion, the panellists focused on the question of whether Greek Australians are now considered ‘white’ within Australia’s colourful social fabric.

The diversity panel.
Mary Coustas (centre).

With such a packed schedule and Philhellenic line up, I had to ask some attendees what their thoughts were on the Greek Australian festival.

Young UTS student, Mayela, arrived at the festival with her friend Leto and said she found it inspiring.

Mayela (right) with her friend Leto.

“I’m doing a writing and publishing course and I’m also a Greek Australian so I find this a really good environment to explore what I want to be as a writer and especially as a Greek Australian writer,” Mayela said.

Non-Greek festival attendee, Franciscus Magister, told me he was at the festival because he’s “interested in literature and in particular, the Greek culture as part of Australian culture.”

“There’s also the presentations about Charmian Clift and George Johnson, who themselves were Australian writers and lived in Greece in the 60s… which should be excellent,” Mr Magister added.

More attendees.
Nia Kateris with Harry Danalis and his wife (centre).
Happy faces.
Hellenic Lyceum members at the festival.

‘Excellent’ was putting it mildly.

Australia’s Ambassador to Greece, Arthur Spyrou, joined via Zoom from Athens, Greece for the keynote session on the legacy of Charmian Clift, the Australian journalist and writer who wrote about living on the Greek island of Kalymnos and Hydra. Nearly 60 years after they were published, they have only just been translated into Greek by Fotini Pipi and Clift’s biographer Nadia Wheatley.

During the keynote session, Ms Pipi and Ms Wheatley, alongside Ambassador Spyrou, spoke about their books Mermaid Singing and Peel Me A Lotus and gave context to the life of Charmian.

When speaking with me about the importance of her work on Charmian, Ms Wheatley was overcome with emotion.

Charmian Clift session.

“I feel like weeping as I speak to you because whilst over 40-odd years of my career I’ve been to many literary festivals in Australia, this is the first Greek Australian literary festival I’ve been to,” Ms Wheatley said.

“I lived in Greece for three years back in the 1970s and I lived with the son of Charmian, who’s biography I’ve written. So Greece has always been a very important part of my life and last year I went to Kalymnos for the launch of the Greek translation of Charmian’s memoir Mermaid Singing.

“So the launch of that book and building on that today, coming here and talking to a mixed Anglo Australian and Greek Australian audience, it’s really significant.

“Charmian Clift translated Greek culture for English-speaking readers but now Greek-speaking readers are able to read what Charmian wrote about Kalymnos so it feels like a perfect circle.”

I couldn’t have summed up the Greek Australian Writer’s Festival and its keynote session any better myself.

*All photos copyright The Greek Herald / Andriana Simos.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

Easter on the Holy Mountain: A pilgrimage to Mount Athos

Mount Athos, a place of profound significance, beckons travellers from all corners of the world. It is known as the “Holy Mountain".

The Greeks of Tashkent: Photo exhibition and talk by Costas Politis in Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney will proudly host two very important events for "The Greeks of Tashkent" as part of its program for 2024. The...

Orthodox Easter: A time filled with love and spirituality for residents of Ibis Care

With Orthodox Easter approaching, the Ibis Care community commemorate this significant time in the Orthodox religious calendar.

The Cosmos in Cosmopolitanism: Nikos Papastergiadis launches new book in Melbourne

Before a packed house comprising of leading scholars at the Greek Center in Melbourne, Nikos Papastergiadis launched his most recent book.

Unite for a cause at the 6th Annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer in Sydney

During Brain Cancer Action Month, friends and supporters of the White Pearl Foundation are uniting once again on Friday, May 24.

You May Also Like

Alex Agelopoulos: Alleged Melbourne pitch invader banned from soccer games

Alex Agelopoulos accused of injuring a player during a pitch invasion in Melbourne with a bucket has faced Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.

Joint United States-Greek military exercises underway in the Mediterranean

“The U.S.-Greece defense relationship is at an all-time high, and growing stronger every day,” said Ambassador Geoffrey R. Pyatt, U.S. Ambassador to Greece.

New sizeable natural gas field discovered off Cyprus coast

A new natural gas deposit has been uncovered in exploratory drilling in block six of Cyprus’ Exclusive Economic Zone.