Patricia Karvelas opens up about challenges she faces as a LGBTQIA+ journalist

·

Since she was a teenager, Patricia Karvelas told ABC News she has always been open about her sexuality.

“I have always been open with the people I trust, and that (trust) is the key word,” Karvelas explained about telling people she was gay.

When the Greek Australian began her career in the Canberra press gallery in 2003, she was careful about who she revealed her sexuality to because she thought a number of her colleagues were unsupportive and a number of politicians were unfriendly towards gay rights.

Karvelas worked in the press gallery for ten years, first for The Australian, then for Sky News and the ABC.

She told ABC News that eventually those closest to her in the press gallery knew she was queer, and she also became comfortable disclosing her sexual orientation to politicians she deemed to be “pretty pro-gay,” such as current Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

Patricia Karvelas. Photo: Scott Mcnaughton.
Patricia Karvelas. Photo: Scott Mcnaughton.

“I think back on those years with a great sense of sadness… as though I’ve missed my youth, and that I wasn’t able to be my full self at work,” Karvelas told ABC News.

The journalist was concerned she would be excluded from networks, left off invites or miss out on stories, if she told everyone she way gay.

In the end, Karvelas said things did get better during her time in the press gallery. She ended up feeling comfortable taking her partner – now wife – to parliamentary balls and introduced her to prime ministers.

Now hosting Q&A on ABC TV and RN Breakfast on Radio National, Karvelas says she’s “very out” and is at a point in her life where she’s happy for anyone to know.

Source: ABC News

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

Discovery of 3.5 metre marble cause of revision to Lesvos Byzantine history

A 3.5 metre long marble lintel was found and its discovery has been the cause of revision to the islands late Byzantine history. 

May 20: Commemorating the Battle of Crete

On May 20 every year, the Greek community commemorates one of the most dramatic battles of the Second World War - the Battle of Crete.

Recent excavations uncover ancient Greek settlement of Tenea for the first time

The ancient Greek settlement area of Tenea has been discovered for the first time during recent excavations.