Patricia Karvelas opens up about challenges she faces as a LGBTQIA+ journalist

·

Since she was a teenager, Patricia Karvelas told ABC News she has always been open about her sexuality.

“I have always been open with the people I trust, and that (trust) is the key word,” Karvelas explained about telling people she was gay.

When the Greek Australian began her career in the Canberra press gallery in 2003, she was careful about who she revealed her sexuality to because she thought a number of her colleagues were unsupportive and a number of politicians were unfriendly towards gay rights.

Karvelas worked in the press gallery for ten years, first for The Australian, then for Sky News and the ABC.

She told ABC News that eventually those closest to her in the press gallery knew she was queer, and she also became comfortable disclosing her sexual orientation to politicians she deemed to be “pretty pro-gay,” such as current Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

Patricia Karvelas. Photo: Scott Mcnaughton.
Patricia Karvelas. Photo: Scott Mcnaughton.

“I think back on those years with a great sense of sadness… as though I’ve missed my youth, and that I wasn’t able to be my full self at work,” Karvelas told ABC News.

The journalist was concerned she would be excluded from networks, left off invites or miss out on stories, if she told everyone she way gay.

In the end, Karvelas said things did get better during her time in the press gallery. She ended up feeling comfortable taking her partner – now wife – to parliamentary balls and introduced her to prime ministers.

Now hosting Q&A on ABC TV and RN Breakfast on Radio National, Karvelas says she’s “very out” and is at a point in her life where she’s happy for anyone to know.

Source: ABC News

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

Perth Mayor Basil Zempilas welcomes reopening of women’s shelter

City of Perth Mayor Basil Zempilas has welcomed news that the Safe Night Space for vulnerable women escaping violence will reopen.

Katerina Sakellaropoulou voted in by Greek parliament as Greece’s first female president

Greece’s parliament elected former Council of State head Katerina Sakellaropoulou as the country’s next president on Wednesday, a largely ceremonial role that also brings...

Andrew Liveris has a plan to boost local manufacturing in Australia

Andrew Liveris is looking to boost Australia's local manufacturing capabilities in his role as Advisor to the National COVID-19 Coordination Commission.