“I am lucky to be married to Tom”: Rita Wilson on life and love

·

Rita Wilson has always been a loud and proud Greek woman who has spoken openly about growing up in our culture alongside mother Dorothea Tzigkou, and Bulgarian-born father, Allan Wilson. 

Married to award winning actor Tom Hanks for over 34 years, Rita has been known to perform as a musician and also produce the 2002 hit, “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”. 

Rita spoke to the Sydney Morning Herald and talked about her life growing up, her career and what it’s like being married to Tom Hanks.

Starting the journey to a new life from Commiunist Bulgaria, her father Allan moved to the United States after seeing the 1927 movie, Chicago

“He told me that’s what inspired him to want to move here. Every morning, he would wake up and say, “God Bless America.” says Wilson. 

Rita Wilson, Tom Hanks and their children.

Not long after moving to America, her parents met at a Greek/Bulgarian dance in New York City and that was the beginning of a beautiful marriage that lasted 59 years until her father sadly passed away in 2009.

Rita has had a long and varying career, ranging from music to acting and while working in the music space, she had the pleasure of being mentored by musician Bruce Springsteen.

“Bruce Springsteen is an incredible inspiration and mentor. He liberated me from self-doubt when I asked him about songwriting,” Rita said. 

“When he speaks, it’s like a masterclass.” 

Tom Hanks has been right by Rita’s side for the length of their marriage, and it is something that she considers herself ‘lucky’ for. 

“I am lucky to be married to Tom, who loves music, and while we have very different tastes, we intercept in specific areas,” she says.

“It’s fun to share music and have that connection.”

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

Pandora Papers: ATO freezes $80 million in assets tied to developer Jim Raptis

The tax office has frozen more than $80 million in assets linked to Gold Coast developer, Jim Raptis, and associated companies.

Cats and the Canary to bring an evening of Greek swing to Sydney 

The 42nd Sydney Greek Festival will present the band Cats and the Canary for a unique musical evening of favourite Greek songs.

Turkey test fires missile as Defence Minister calls for talks with Greece

Hours after Turkey test-fired a short-range ballistic missile, Defence Minister Akar said issues with Greece can be solved with dialogue.