Charles Upham: The only combat soldier with two Victoria Crosses after bravery in Crete, Egypt

·

Lord Ashcroft is standing among rows and rows of headstones at the Suda Bay War Cemetery in Crete, which commemorates the lives of the more than 1500 fallen Commonwealth servicemen from World War II.

Whilst there, he reflects on the life of Charles Hazlitt Upham – a New Zealand farmer turned army officer who risked his life time and again defending Crete from its German assailants.

In a piece for the NZ Herald, Lord Ashcroft details the life of this incredible man and shares how he is one of only three people ever to win the Victoria Cross (VC) twice for his actions in Crete in 1941 and Egypt in 1942. Upham is the only person to have achieved this as a combat soldier.

Lord Ashcroft pays his respects to fallen soldiers at the memorial cemetery at Crete. Photo / Angela Entwistle.

Who was Charles Upham?

Born in Christchurch in 1908, Charles Upham joined the 2nd NZ Expeditionary Force soon after war broke out in September 1939.

Upham earned the VC for outstanding gallantry and leadership in Crete in May 1941, and his Bar at Ruweisat Ridge, Egypt, in July 1942.

According to the NZ Government, Upham was severely wounded in Crete. In one particular incident, Upham led a counterattack on Maleme airport, which had fallen into enemy hands.

“When his company was forced to withdraw, Upham carried a wounded comrade back under fire,” Lord Ashcroft writes.

“A comrade who witnessed the incident said later: “Bullets and shrapnel were flying about. A chap walked out of olive trees and across open country. No shirt, shorts blood-smeared, carrying a badly wounded man. I said to my CSM [Company Sergeant Major], ‘He’ll either get a wooden cross or a Victoria Cross’.”

Charles Upham receiving his VC from General Auchinleck, November 1941. Photo: stuff.co.nz.

Upham was later captured by the Germans. After a failed escape attempt while recuperating in an Italian hospital, he was transferred to Germany in September 1943.

A particularly audacious solo attempt to scale his camp’s barbed-wire fences in broad daylight saw Upham become the only New Zealand combatant officer sent to the infamous Colditz camp for habitual escapers in 1944.

It was here that the Americans liberated him and others close to the end of the war.

After the war Upham returned to farming life in Canterbury, where he died in 1994 surrounded by his wife and daughters. He was 86 years of age.

Modest and selfless, but extremely tough and single-minded, Upham came to symbolise the steely determination and professionalism of the New Zealand Division in the Second World War.

Source: NZ Herald, nzhistory.govt.nz.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC to face Auckland FC in historic OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC will face Auckland FC in the historic inaugural OFC Pro League final on Sunday at Eden Park.

Cretan community commemorates Battle of Crete with gala event in Sydney

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW filled Sydney with Cretan music, remembrance and celebration during its annual dance evening.

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

You May Also Like

Man attacked in Victoria over Balkan tension

A man in his 20s was attacked in Melbourne's north-east last week in what is reported to be a dispute between local Greek and Macedonian communities.

Delphi Bank launches petition for return of the Parthenon marbles

Delphi Bank's Jim Sarris says the petition aims to “seek justice for our heritage and past generations” and raise “awareness".

Christopher Nolan’s The Odyssey sparks controversy ahead of 2026 release

Christopher Nolan’s upcoming adaptation of Homer’s The Odyssey is already drawing criticism for historical inaccuracies.