Greece releases video of Turkish coast guard violently pushing refugees

·

Greece’s Migration Minister, Notis Mitarakis, released a video on Wednesday that allegedly shows Turkey’s Coast Guard violently pushing a boat full of refugees toward the Aegean islands.

Mitarakis posted the video on his Twitter account and said it shows the officers “violently pushing forward migrants to Greece, in violation of international law and the EU joint statement.”

The Migration Minister claimed the video was shot by a refugee who was eventually rescued by the Greek Coast Guard.

“It is further proof of the instrumentalisation of migration flows by Turkey,” he said.

Mitarakis did not say where or when the incident occurred, but the video shows a refugee boat next to the Turkish vessel and refugees pleading with the officers to help them.

The officers shout at them and use sticks to push them away.

The video comes at a time were relations between the two NATO allies are at a low point, with many ongoing disputes including over Aegean Sea boundaries.

READ MORE: Turkey and the Parthenon Marbles: Hot topics of Greek Prime Minister’s UN address.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

TGH Exclusive: NSW Football Associations prepare for imminent football return

As the return of football approaches, NSW Football Associations prepare for the various health guidelines and precautions that will be put in place to allow the season to run smoothly.

Greek Community of Melbourne to celebrate Children’s Week with free workshop

The Greek Community of Melbourne (GCM) is excited to participate in this year’s Children's Week celebration.

Sydney Olympic outclassed as Sydney United 58 hit top gear

Sydney United 58 responded in style to last week’s setback, securing their 11th win of the season with a commanding 3-0 victory.