Fan sues Nick Kyrgios after he accused her of having ‘700 drinks’ at Wimbledon

·

A tennis fan is taking legal action against Nick Kyrgios after he accused her of being “drunk out of her mind” during his defeat in this year’s Wimbledon final, ABC News has reported.

Anna Palus said the 27-year-old Australian had defamed her by making “a reckless and entirely baseless allegation” at Wimbledon.

Kyrgios, well known for his outbursts, complained to the umpire during his match against Novak Djokovic, saying that a fan had been talking to him during points.

Asked by the umpire to identify the fan, Kyrgios said: “The one with the dress. The one who looks like she’s had about 700 drinks, bro!”

Anna Palus (centre) at Wimbledon.

In a statement released by her solicitors, Ms Palus said this allegation not only resulted in her “temporary removal from the arena,” but it was also “broadcast to, and read by, millions around the world, causing me and my family very substantial damage and distress.”

The Polish medical lawyer said she was launching defamation proceedings against Kyrgios to “clear her name.”

Any damages she may win would be donated to charity, Ms Palus said.

“I hope that Mr Kyrgios will reflect on the harm he has caused me and my family and offer a prompt resolution to this matter,” she said.

“However, if he is unwilling to do this, I am committed to obtaining vindication in the High Court.”

READ MORE: ‘It was really hard’: Nick Kyrgios on struggle to overcome Wimbledon defeat.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

Father Antonios convicted on multiple abuse charges in Ark of the World case

Father Antonios has been sentenced to 9.5 years’ imprisonment, commuted to a fine exceeding €60,000, after Greece’s court found him guilty.

You May Also Like

Children born as of Wednesday will receive 2,000 euros each

A special handout of 2,000 euros for every child born in Greece will be voted into law after Parliament starts again in the new...

‘Greatest ecological catastrophe’: Greek PM addresses wildfires

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has described the wildfires as “the greatest ecological catastrophe of the last few decades”.

TGH Exclusive: Patricia Koromvokis appointed as new Modern Greek Studies lecturer for Macquarie University

Dr Koromvokis discussed her academic goals for the Modern Greek Program at Macquarie University, and addressed variety of things with the Greek Herald including her life, her studies and her aims.