Greece’s Thessaloniki Documentary Festival postponed due to Coronavirus fears

·

With just days until it was due to launch, the 2020 Thessaloniki Documentary Festival — the sister event to Greece’s well-establish Thessaloniki International Film Festival — has been postponed amid growing coronavirus fears. 

The announcement was made Monday, with organisers saying the decision came following the latest announcement issued by the World Health Organisation, which updated its estimation concerning the coronavirus spread. It is also in accordance with the country’s Ministry of Culture & Sports, alongside the administration of the Thessaloniki International Film Festival. 

The 22nd edition of the festival was due to take place March 5-15.

“The safety of the working staff, the audience, the city’s residents and the Festival’s guests from both Greece and abroad are our top-notch priority,” organizers said, adding that they were considering shifting the festival to the end of May/beginning of June.

Despite the decision, the festival said that many of its industry and development-focused initiatives and projects would still take place, but online. 

The Thessaloniki Documentary Festival follows a growing number of entertainment industry events that have been postponed amid the worsening coronavirus outbreak.

In early February, the Hong Kong International Film Festival and Hong Kong Filmart were postponed from March to August, with Filmart now taking place Aug. 27-29 and the film festival yet to confirm dates. Last week, Italy’s Far East Festival moved it’s 22nd edition from April 24-May 2 to June 26-July 4.

Sourced by: Hollywood Reporter

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Our People Their Stories’ revives the era when Hellenism took root in Australia

"Our People Their Stories – Οι Άνθρωποί μας, οι Ιστορίες τους" is the name of the pioneering project undertaken by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese...

Tributes flow for former Liberal MP for Kooyong, Petro Georgiou

Petro Georgiou, a former Liberal MP for Kooyong and a respected advocate for human rights, has died peacefully at the age of 77.

Meet the new generation of Greek youth shaping the future of Hellenism in Canberra

The GOCCC Emerging Leaders (GEL) Committee 2025 is a hand-selected youth subcommittee made up of dedicated young individuals.

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

Coalition pledges $2 million to upgrade Heidelberg United Alexander FC facilities

The Coalition has recently announced a $2 million funding commitment to Heidelberg United Alexander Football Club.

You May Also Like

Late stunner sees Olympiacos eliminate Arsenal from Europa League

Olympiacos' Youssef El-Arabi scored a dramatic late winner in extra-time to knock Arsenal out of the Europa League on Thursday night.

Archaeologists discover two Doric temple remains in former Greek colony Paestum

Archaeologists have discovered two additional Doric-style temples at Paestum, an ancient Greek colony in southern Italy.

First visit in 24 years of an Archbishop to Greek Orthodox Church in Canberra

Archbishop Makarios marked the first time in over two decades an Archbishop has served a liturgy in the St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, Canberra