Convicted murderer who stabbed Frankie Prineas 37 times has jail sentence extended

·

Convicted killer, Jayscen Anthony Newby, will spend at least five more years in jail after the ACT Court of Appeal found his original sentence was “manifestly inadequate,” ABC News reports.

Newby was sentenced to 20 years in jail and a 10-year non-parole period in June last year, after stabbing Frankie Prineas to death while he was on a Tinder date with a woman Newby had known.

READ MORE: Man faces court after pleading guilty to murdering Greek Australian Frankie Prineas.

At the time of Newby’s trial, ACT Chief Justice Helen Murrell described the murder scene, at a home in Charnwood in Canberra’s north, as a “bloodbath.”

The murder scene at a home in Charnwood in Canberra’s north.

Prineas’ family also said the sentence was too short and that they were “stunned” by the outcome.

READ MORE: ‘Absolutely stunned’: Family react to 20 year sentence for murder of Frankie Prineas.

In response, ACT Director of Public Prosecutions, Shane Drumgold, called for a tougher sentence. He told the court that Newby was given too large a discount on his sentence for his plea of guilty and cooperation in the court process.

Convicted killer, Jayscen Anthony Newby.

READ MORE: Prosecutors call for harsher sentence for Frankie Prineas’ killer.

On Thursday, the Court of Appeal backed the prosecution’s argument.

“He was an entirely innocent man who unwittingly became a victim of Newby’s anger and extreme violence directed to control [the woman],” the appeal court said.

The court resentenced Newby to 24 years in jail, with a non-parole period of 15 years, meaning he will not be eligible for release until 2035.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Celeste Barber’s $51 million bushfire money can’t be distributed to other charities

Money raised by Celeste Barber's bushfire campaign cannot be distributed to other charities but can be given to injured firefighters, a judge has ruled.

Cyprus’ President recruits foreign experts to investigate Russian sanction evasion

Cyprus' president, Nikos Christodoulides, has personally requested experts to assist with Russian oligarchs sanctions investigations.

Kyriakos Mitsotakis spruiks Greece-France naval deal at Athens Democracy Forum

Kyriakos Mitsotakis spent the forum spruiking a recently announced 2.9b euro naval deal to acquire three warships from France.