Greek director of Lyon Ballet sacked for firing ballerina after she gave birth

·

The director of a French ballet has been sacked for firing a dancer after she had a baby, the French culture ministry confirmed last Friday.

The unions had called for Greek-born Yorgos Loukos to leave after he lost his appeal over discrimination against dancer Karline Marion, who was 34 at the time.

He was ordered to pay Marion €5,000 in compensation.

Loukos, 69, who had been director of the Lyon Ballet for 33 years, was fired last Thursday.

Like the vast majority of ballerinas in France, Marion was on a temporary contract during her five years at the ballet.

In 2014, with her post about to become permanent under French law because she had worked through five contracts, Marion was let go two days after she returned from her maternity leave.

At the time, Loukas told the municipal authorities who pay the dancers’ salaries that he was sacking her because of her “physical and stylistic weakness”.

During a meeting with the dancer, which she recorded, Loukos told her: “If between the ages of 29 and 34, you did a fair bit, though not a lot, you are not going to do much more between 35 and 40, particularly with a child.”

The normally reserved world of ballet has been shaken in recent years by the #MeToo movement, with more and more dancers speaking out about bullying and sexual harassment.

Last week, the Royal Ballet in London suspended its top choreographer Liam Scarlett, who has been accused of asking students to send him naked photographs.

Sourced via The Straits Times.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

You May Also Like

‘Need to strengthen cooperation’: Greece hosts tripartite summit with Cyprus and Jordan

King Abdullah II of Jordan was meeting in Athens with the leaders of Greece and Cyprus as part of regular high-level talks.

Greek businesses explored Oceania and Southeast Asia

A Greek business delegation, organised by the Hellenic-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry, has travelled to Oceania and Southeast Asia.

Greece extends travel ban for all non-EU citizens until May 28

Greek authorities have announced the travel ban on all non-EU citizens would be extended until May 28 as part of measures to halt the spread of COVID-19.