Greek divers discover Italian World War II submarine wreck

·

Greek divers have discovered the wreckage of an Italian submarine 80 years after it was sunk by the Allied Forces in the Aegean Sea during World War Two, Ekathimerini reports.

The Jantina, which had sailed from the Greek island of Leros with 48 sailors on board, sank on July 5, 1941, after being hit by torpedoes fired by British submarine HMS Torbay.

Kostas Thoctarides and his team discovered the shipwreck.

She was discovered last month by Greek diver, Kostas Thoctarides and his team, south of the island of Mykonos at a depth of 103 meters.

“Naval history is like a puzzle, and this is part of that puzzle,” Thoctarides said after the discovery.

Jantina’s identity was verified using records from Italy’s Naval History Office, Thoctarides said.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Cyprus Community of Victoria’s ‘village’ on track with demolition hoped by year’s end

The Cypriot Community of Melbourne and Victoria is forging ahead with plans for a six-storey "Greek village" at 495 Lygon Street.

Mark Coure slams Steve Kamper MP for neglecting multicultural media in NSW

Shadow Minister for Multiculturalism Mark Coure has slammed Multicultural Minister Steve Kamper for failing to support multicultural media.

Georgia Kikiros to represent Western Australia in historical ANZAC tour

A Year 10 student from St Andrew’s Grammar in Western Australia has been selected to represent the state during a historical ANZAC tour.