Greece-Turkey diplomatic spat over COVID-19 testing of Turkish soccer team

·

Turkish authorities have erupted in a furor after the country’s soccer team Galatasary was asked to take a COVID-19 test upon arrival in Athens on Monday. 

Greek authorities allege the players and coach Fatih Terim refused to follow random testing procedures which require all overseas visitors to re-test for COVID-19 regardless of any prior negative test result. 

“No exceptions can be made to safety rules. The application of those procedures must be absolute,” deputy minister for Civil Protection, Nikos Hardalias, said in a statement. 

“Given their refusal to comply with those rules, they were refused entry into the country on my orders.”

The scheduled match between the Olympiakos and Galatasary soccer teams was canceled after the Galatasary team was denied entry and sent back to Istanbul. 

Greek Ambassador Michael-Christos Diamessis was reportedly scolded by the Turkish Foreign Ministry over the ‘illegal’ and ‘discriminatory’ request, according to state-run Turkish news outlet Anadolu Agency. 

“The fact that Greece welcomes one of our country’s leading teams with such behaviour shows its intolerance towards our country, even in the field of sports,” the ministry said in a statement.

The Turkish Football Federation said the players had been treated in an “unacceptable” way. 

“We condemn the attitude adopted by the Greek authorities. Their behaviour was not in a sporting spirit. We stand by Galatasaray sports club,” the federation said.

Tensions between Greece and Turkey are currently high over maritime boundaries and the respective rights of ethnic and religious minorities in each country. 

Source: AP

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

The Greek Revolution and New Perspectives

Growing up in Australia as a 2nd generation Greek Australian in the 70s and 80s, I had a limited knowledge as to what Greek Independence Day.

Ambassador of China to Greece works with Health Minister cease coronavirus spread to Greece

Greek Health Minister Vassilis Kikilias recently held an emergency meeting with the Ambassador of China to Greece, Zhang Qiyue, and with infectious disease specialists...

Project launched to map routes followed by ANZAC and Allied forces on Crete

Australian and New Zealand organisations have embarked on a project titled "The ANZAC & Allied Trail of Crete."