Grieving relatives angered at St Basil’s over COVID deaths memorial service

·

Grieving relatives of the 45 elderly Greek Australians who died from COVID-19 at a St Basil’s aged care home in Fawkner, operated by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, say that a one-year memorial service is the first meaningful contact they’ve had from the home. 

Father Evmenios Vasilopoulos, chair of St Basil’s Homes for the Aged, invited the families to the service to take place at the end of the month. 

The letter said the home extended their “deepest sympathies and condolences to the families, friends, residents and staff” affected by the deaths, according to a report from The Age

In July last year, 94 of the 117 mostly Greek and Serbian-born residents, and close to 80% of its staff members, were infected after COVID-19 spread uncontrolled throughout the home in Fawkner. 

Relatives who spoke to The Age on Monday said they were disappointed the offer to attend a one-year memorial service was the first meaningful contact they’d had from St Basil’s since their parents had died.

Source: The Age

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Eurovision Song Contest cancelled due to coronavirus pandemic

The 2020 Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled for the first time in the event's 64-year history due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Australian Hellenic Council of Western Australia reactivates with renewed unity and purpose

The Australian Hellenic Council (AHC) of Western Australia has successfully reconvened after a period of inactivity.

Greece’s ex-Transport Minister Kostas Karamanlis to rerun as election candidate

Greece's former Transportation and Infrastructure Minister, Kostas Karamanlis, will rerun as election candidate for the New Democracy party.