King returns to the ring: George Kambosos Jr to fight Teofimo Lopez in mega $7.6 million deal

·

One of Australia’s biggest lightweight boxers George “Ferocious” Kambosos Jr will finally be returning to the ring to fight Teofimo Lopez in massive $7.6 million (AUD) deal offered by streaming platform Triller.

George Kambosos Jr was set to fight the current unified lightweight world champion, with arrangements being made as to which company would be promoting the fight. Matchroom and Top Rank reportedly offered $3.5 million and $2.3 million (USD) to promote the fight, yet a stunning $6 million (USD) bid by Triller trumped both companies.

The upstart tech company previously promoted the exhibition match between former heavyweight champions Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr as a pay-per-view attraction. According to reports, the fight generated more than 1.6 million buys.

READ MORE: IBF officially orders lightweight champion to face George Kambosos Jr
READ MORE: TGH Exclusive: George “Ferocious” Kambosos Jr – The unbeaten Greek Australian fighter who dreams of being world champion!

The bidding process staged by the IBF stated that Lopez, as the champion, would receive $4 million (US), with Kambosos and his team receiving $2 million (USD), minus promotional expenses.

The International Boxing Federation (IBF) officially ordered Lopez Jnr to defend his belt against the unbeaten Kambosos in January 2021. Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald following the announcement, Kambosos said he was pushing for the match to be held in Australia.

George Kambosos Jr. Photo: Supplied

“I really want it. A lot of people don’t want to fight Lopez. But this mandatory is good. I really want this fight, I truly believe I will win this fight,” Kambosos said last month.

Kambosos is currently on a 19-0 win streak, last winning his fight against Selby and Mickey Bey in December, 2019, at Madison Square Garden on the Terence Crawford card.

Kambosos added that he thinks the world title fight will give him a chance to “become the first and the greatest fighter in Australian history.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Australian passport ranked the world’s second most expensive

The price of Australian passports was raised by 15% in July, making it the second most expensive in the world after Liechtenstein at $450.

Independence fighter: Petros (Petrobey) Mavromichalis

Petros Mavromichalis was a leading figure of Mani during the last twenty years of Ottoman rule, passing away on January 17 1848.

Sydney man Nicholas Panagakos charged over alleged weapons and drug possession

Nicholas Panagakos, 21, has been charged after police allegedly found multiple knives, a knuckle duster, ammunition, and drugs.