6-year-old dies of injuries in Greek migrant camp fire

·

A 6-year-old boy from Iran died of burns suffered during an overnight fire at a migrant camp northwest of Athens, Greek authorities said on Wednesday.

The blaze broke out late on Tuesday at a short-term residence facility near the town of Thebes, about 90 kilometers from the Greek capital. Nobody else was reported injured.

The fire service said in a statement that firefighters sent to the incident were initially prevented by camp residents from entering, and had to call police support to get in and extinguish the blaze.

By then, the boy had already been brought unconscious out of the building where the fire broke out. He was pronounced dead in hospital.

The cause of the fire is being investigated.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Iranian refugee who excelled in Panhellenic exams meets with Greek Prime Minister

Iranian refugee student, Kouros Durmohammadi Bagi, has been personally congratulated in a call by Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Crown Resorts director, Andrew Demetriou, denies dishonesty at casino inquiry

Andrew Demetriou has been criticised at the Crown Resorts inquiry after he compromised his evidence by referring to secret notes.

Greece announces expansion plans for wall along the border with Turkey

Greece has announced its plan to expand the wall along the country’s border with Turkey by three times its length.