‘Terrible thing to happen’: Greek Australian family reflects on shocking funeral mix up

·

On Monday, The Greek Herald first reported an incident which saw a mix-up of two bodies placed in the wrong caskets leaving two Greek Australian families devastated.

During a funeral service last Friday, Despina Nicolopoulos was farewelling her late husband of 57 years.

The family opened the casket to pay their respects to their beloved husband, father and grandfather, and saw the body in the casket was not their family member.

“My daughter say ‘Mum not my father this one… another man’,” Despina told 7News on Tuesday.

“Terrible thing to happen,” Mrs Nicolopoulos said.

The family later found out that her late husband’s body had been buried two hours earlier.

Despina’s son, Bill, explained during the same interview that although the family acknowledges the mistake was “a pure accident” it is “just devastating”.

Euro Funerals. Photo: The Greek Herald

The funeral home, Euro Funeral Services, told 7News that the mix-up occurred during a routine procedure and that both families were offered a refund over the ordeal.

Euro Funeral Services Funeral Director, Spiro Haralambous apologised for the incident saying he wished he could “turn it back for the families”.

“The procedure is normally that one should check the ID on the body before they actually put the coffin lid with the name plate on the coffin,” Haralambous said.

“This is where that procedure was not followed through.”

The Nicolopoulos family, is now enquiring to find out how their loved one’s body could be exhumed without permission or consent.

READ MORE: Funeral mix up sends shockwaves through Sydney’s Greek community

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Trump targets Australia’s beef trade in new tariff announcement

Experts are warning of rising prices for American consumers as US President Donald Trump announces sweeping reciprocal tariffs.

The Greek passport (for Aussies) debacle: Part One

For quite a while now, I've been hearing complaints from Greek Australians about long delays in obtaining a Greek passport.

Harry Mavrolefteros’ First Education wins ‘Business of the Decade’ at National Awards

First Education, founded by Harry Mavrolefteros, was awarded 'Business of the Decade' at the 2025 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Little Legs Foundation sets monopoly World Record in memory of Alegra Vasiliou

The Little Legs Foundation officially set a new Guinness World Record for the most people playing Monopoly in a single venue.

You May Also Like

Etihad to refund all Australian flights cancelled due to COVID-19

Etihad will offer refunds to all consumers who purchased airfares in Australia which were consequently cancelled due to COVID-19.

Attiki Governor confirms 2024 Greek Community of Melbourne Summer Camp 

The inaugural Youth Camp in Attiki, accompanied by GCM officials had the honour of meeting with the Governor of Attiki, Nikos Chardalias.

Greek Orthodox priest injured in Israeli airstrike

A recent Israeli attack on Lebanon's south has resulted in a mass of Christian casualties with some fatalities and many injured.