Coronavirus cluster in Sydney’s Northern Beaches grows by 15 cases

·

The coronavirus cluster on Sydney’s northern beaches has grown to 83 cases, as record numbers of people come forward for testing in NSW.

More than 38,000 people were swabbed for the virus in the 24 hours to 8pm yesterday, and 15 new infections were recorded.

While the number of new cases is significantly lower than the 30 found yesterday, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said: “Unfortunately, one day’s results doesn’t tell us it’s a trend.”

READ MORE: NSW records 30 new COVID-19 cases overnight as new restrictions introduced for Greater Sydney.

People were lining up to get a COVID-19 test at the Mona Vale clinic on Thursday morning. Photo: AAP / Dean Lewins.

She said authorities were monitoring the situation “on an hourly basis” and that on Wednesday morning they would provide an update as to what restrictions would be in place for Christmas.

“I would love to be able to tell everybody today what Christmas might look like in New South Wales or the northern beaches, but we’re not in a position to do that yet,” she said.

Despite the drop in case numbers, Ms Berejiklian warned the community to stay across continuing alerts on venues as more would be added to the already extensive list today.

Chief Health Officer, Kerry Chant, said the source of the outbreak remained unknown but the seeding event is believed to have been December 11 at the Avalon RSL, which then transferred to the Avalon Bowling Club.

READ MORE: Christmas nightmare: State border crackdowns in place as NSW records COVID-19 spike.

She said one of the venues that had been alerted was the Salon for Hair in Turramurra on Sydney’s north shore — and is now linked to five cases.

Anyone who attended the salon between December 15 and 18 needs to be tested and self-isolate for 14 days.

“We believe we have contacted the vast majority of people, but some people had incorrect or eligible contact details,” she said.

“Please prompt your friends and relatives to check whether they attended on those days, follow the advice and get tested immediately and self-isolate if you’re one or two people who we haven’t managed to track down.”

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

Trust-building steps taken in Cyprus, but peace talks still elusive

Cyprus' rival leaders, Greek Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar, made some progress on Wednesday.

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

You May Also Like

South-west Sydney football club Liverpool Olympic celebrates 40 years

Liverpool Olympic FC (LOFC) celebrated its 40th Anniversary at the lavish Edessa Reception Venue at Greenfield Park in the west of Sydney.

Greece celebrates Epiphany amid a surge in coronavirus cases

People in Greece celebrated the Epiphany, one of Christianity's most important feasts, on Thursday under strict COVID-19 protection measures.

Sakkari, Tsitsipas advance to quarterfinals at Tokyo Olympics and will play the Aussies

Greek tennis stars, Maria Sakkari and Stefanos Tsitsipas, will advance to the mixed doubles quarterfinals at the Tokyo Olympics.