Greece extends nationwide lockdown again, to Dec. 14

·

Greece has extended to Dec. 14 a nationwide lockdown imposed last month to contain a surge in new coronavirus cases, government spokesman Stelios Petsas said on Thursday.

The lockdown, the country’s second since the pandemic began, was extended by a week.

“There is a stabilisation or rather a decline in the (number of) cases but at a slower pace than expected,” Petsas told a televised briefing.

READ MORE: Kyriakos Mitsotakis criticised for violating lockdown rules in leaked photos
READ MORE: Greece extends lockdown until December 7, protests break out in Athens

Greece has registered a total of 109,655 COVID-19 cases and 2,186 deaths, with northern Greece hardest hit and hospitals operating at almost full capacity.

The restrictions were initially expected to end on Nov. 30 but the government had already extended them to Dec. 7. Petsas said seasonal stores, selling Christmas items, would re-open next week.

Sourced By: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Greek Community of Melbourne schools mark 50th anniversary of Cyprus invasion

The Greek Community of Melbourne schools organised, in July, a series of school activities to mark 50th anniversary of the Cyprus invasion.

Sakkari showed character and passed to the third round of the Australian Open

Maria Sakkari did not have a good day against 18-year-old Diana Shnaider, but she qualified for the third round of the Australian Open.

Two men face SA court over alleged murder of Bill Frangos

Two men accused of murdering Adelaide resident Bill Frangos and setting fire to his home to destroy evidence have faced court.