European neighbours join forces to ensure refugee minors sent away from Lesvos

·

France, Germany and Switzerland are only a few of the European countries that have stood beside Greece as they face a humanitarian crisis.

Officials relocated 406 unaccompanied children to mainland Greece after a devastating blaze this week completely destroyed the Moria refugee camp.

German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer on Friday announced that on an initiative from Berlin, 10 European Union countries have agreed to take 400 unaccompanied minors from Lesvos. German Chancellor Angela Merkel added to this, confirming a a plan by France and Germany to take minors from the island, hoping other EU countries will also join.

An aerial view of destroyed shelters following the fire at the Moria camp, in a picture taken with a drone. Photo: Alkis Konstantinidis/Reuters.

“I asked the Greek prime minister how we can help and his request was that we take in the minors who were taken to the Greek mainland,” Merkel said.

“We have contacted France. Germany and France will participate in this.”

Stating it is a “European responsibility”, Merkel strongly encouraged all neighbouring countries to offer their support to Greece. Her confirmation came after French President Emmanuel Macron said the two countries were coordinating to find a solution to welcome refugees from the camp.

READ MORE: President Sakellaropoulou: Turkey using ‘refugees as a weapon’ to serve personal agenda
READ MORE: VIDEO FOOTAGE allegedly catches refugees and migrants starting Moria fires

He added that Europe had to stand in solidarity with Greece in face of the “terrible reality that is before us.”

While not yet pledging to take minors from the island, Switzerland have been providing aid to refugees by sending a 1.2-ton shipment of blankets and personal hygiene products. A Swiss expert is also on Friday’s flight, sent to help coordinate the distribution of the aid.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Man attacked in Victoria over Balkan tension

A man in his 20s was attacked in Melbourne's north-east last week in what is reported to be a dispute between local Greek and Macedonian communities.

Greece’s former National Theatre Director out on parole after being found guilty of two rapes

The Greece's former National Theatre Director, Dimitris Lignadis, has been released pending appeal after he was found guilty of two rapes.

Greece declassifies intelligence reports on 1974 Cyprus coup and Turkish invasion

Greece's intelligence service declassified 58 reports detailing the Greek-led coup in Cyprus in 1974 and the subsequent Turkish invasion.