Tsitsipas comments on tennis players concerns over Australian air quality

·

The reigning semifinalist at Australian Open 2020 Stefanos Tsitsipas has had deep runs in the ATP Masters 1000 tournaments, had wins over the ‘Big Three’, attained a career-high ranking of World Number five and clinched the biggest title of his career in London.

However, while practicing in Melbourne, he had problems with his lungs amid the smoky blanket around the city.

Those conditions are simply unplayable which led to collapsing of qualifiers at the Australian Open 2020.

“I was happy until I was about to land and I saw the smoke over the city. I was like, ‘What is this? The first two days here were pretty unusual…I went to practice for around one, one and a half hours. After I practice indoors, I felt really bad with my lungs. It’s getting better day by day. I had a practice session today, as well. It’s different than it was when I first came,” he said.

Tsitsipas mentioned that he is fit to begin is a venture in Melbourne but he was coughing for a while now. 

“I’m feeling okay now, but I was a bit concerned. I was coughing a lot, had trouble breathing for a couple of hours. Now it has gotten better,” he added.

The world number six is motivated to perform better in Melbourne than last year, but the toxic hazy conditions and his lung problems might create a hindrance for the reigning semifinalist. 

“Really looking forward to this new challenge that I have in front of me, to show something. You know, I have great memories from here last year, semi-finals, living the dream, playing with so much adrenaline. I really enjoy the crowd, the people’s energy here,” he said.

Tsitsipas will play Italian Salvatore Caruso tonight at 7pm AEST on Melbourne’s Margaret Court Arena.

Sourced via Essentially Sports.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

You May Also Like

Fotis Antonios arrested in connection to alleged billion-dollar sex abuse claims scam

NSW Police have arrested seven people, including 55-year-old Fotis Antonios, in connection with an alleged billion-dollar scam.

Hellenic Community of Western Australia celebrates 100 years since its inception

On Thursday, 23 November, the Hellenic Community of Western Australia came together to celebrate 100 years of since its inception

Tsitsipas brothers knock out defending French Open champs

Stefanos and Petros Tsitsipas earned a 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 win against last year’s French Open mixed doubles champions Ivan Dodig & Austin Krajicek