Nick Kyrgios and Stefanos Tsitsipas storm into Round 2 of the Australian Open

·

It was a full-on day of tennis on Tuesday as the men’s and women’s singles first round matches at the Australian Open were all wrapped up.

Amongst those playing for a place in Round 2 of the tournament were Nick Kyrgios and Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Here’s a rundown of how their matches went down.

Nick Kyrgios breezes through first round clash:

Nick Kyrgios easily defeated British qualifier Liam Broady 6-4, 6-4, 6-3, in front of a raucous crowd on his beloved John Cain Arena on Tuesday night.

During the match, Kyrgios fired down 21 aces against Broady, including a 220km per hour effort, and conceded only one double fault.

He also landed 81 percent of his first serves in the court and gave up only a single break point.

Throughout it all, the crowd were entertained by the Canberran’s usual antics. At one stage, he even flicked the ball between his legs to the Briton.

“Obviously I served… well today,” the hometown hero said with a smirk as the crowd roared its approval after the match.

There were concerns for Kyrgios ahead of his match after he contracted COVID-19 just last week. He admitted in his on-court interview that he was bedridden for two days.

Kyrgios’ on-court interview. Photo: Getty Images.

“I was concerned I wasn’t going to be physically ready to play. I took it day by day, looked at the bright side and took pressure off,” Kyrgios said.

“I was so excited to be here, first match of the year, my favourite court in the entire world.”

Kyrgios’ win will now see him play world number two Daniil Medvedev on Thursday.

Stefanos Tsitsipas claims straight-sets win:

Greek world number four, Stefanos Tsitsipas, put on a clinical show in his opening round match at the Australian Open on Tuesday, claiming a straight-sets win against Mikael Ymer of Sweden 6-2 6-4 6-3.

Tsitsipas broke Ymer seven times and hit 30 winners to seal the contest in two hours and 10 minutes in the final match of the second day at Rod Laver Arena.

Photo: Steve Trikoulis @trikoulisphotgraphy.

The Greek, however, was not happy with the 38 unforced errors he committed in the match.

“There were a lot of rallies, a lot of ball exchanges, he gave me a hard time, he was going after every single ball and stayed in the match for as long as he could,” Tsitsipas said in his on-court interview.

“I will be trying to decrease the amount of unforced errors, I think I had a few more than I usually have. I’ll be trying to keep the consistency and trying to attack a bit more, be a bit more daring in certain moments.”

Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas and Sweden’s Mikael Ymer shake hands after their first round match. Photo: Asanka Brendon Ratnayake / Reuters.

The French Open finalist showed no signs of discomfort from a right elbow issue that forced him to miss a number of matches at the end of last season and also did not allow him to play at full tilt at the start of 2022.

Ymer showed glimpses of his talent and had his chances but could only convert two of his 11 breakpoint opportunities. The frustration ultimately got to the Swede as he kept punching his towel-clad head repeatedly during a changeover.

The Greek will next meet Argentina’s 21-year-old Sebastian Baez, ranked 88th, for a place in the third round.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Greek Patriarchate demands closure of ‘living museum’ in Jerusalem

The Greek Patriarchate of Jerusalem has filed a lawsuit demanding the closure of a 'living' museum that has been operating near the capital since the 1990s.

Former High Commissioner of Cyprus in Australia, Ambassador Philippos Kritiotis, passes away

The Cypriot Ministry of Foreign Affairs has released a statement confirming the death of former High Commissioner in Australia, Ambassador Philippos Kritiotis.

Nick Giannopoulos and his ‘Wog Boys’ embark on farewell tour

Giannopoulos first created the show "Wogs Out of Work" in 1987, highlighting the lack of cultural diversity on Australian screens.