Nick Kyrgios’ lawyers granted more time to address alleged assault case

·

The ACT magistrates court has granted lawyers for tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, a six-week adjournment to address a charge of alleged assault, ABC News has reported.

Kyrgios’ lawyer, Michael Kukulies-Smith, asked the case’s magistrate, Louise Taylor, today to adjourn the case to November 25 – a time to accommodate Kyrgios, who was not often in Canberra.

Mr Kukulies-Smith also said he would make an application on that date.

“It’s an application… which is one which is capable of resolving the matter,” the lawyer said without going into much detail.

But Magistrate Taylor said she was reluctant to grant the date, and that she was not certain of why there was the secrecy.

Kyrgios had been summonsed to face a charge of assaulting his former girlfriend (pictured, left).

She also told the court in the ordinary course of events she would be asking Mr Kukulies-Smith to indicate pleas of guilty or not guilty for his client.

Magistrate Taylor granted a six-week adjournment, with the case set to be back on October 4.

The Australian Capital Territory police confirmed in July that Kyrgios had been summonsed to face a charge of assaulting his former girlfriend. It relates to an incident in Canberra last December.

Kyrgios is currently in New York, preparing for the US Open, and did not appear in court today for the first mention of the case. 

Source: ABC News.

READ MORE: ‘It was really hard’: Nick Kyrgios on struggle to overcome Wimbledon defeat.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Philhellene Karen Martin ‘dancing’ her way to international success

Dancing the Labyrinth author Karen Martin woke up on Tuesday, December 31, to a tag on Facebook only to find she had won an Eyeland Award.

Stunning new mural completed in Oakleigh by Danielle Weber

Dig if U will and Mig Collection have announced the completion of a stunning new mural at their shared premises at Oakleigh.

Despina Priala and George Caralis to take on Sydney radio’s big guns

Sydney's radio scene is bracing for significant changes as regional broadcaster 2SM sets its sights on challenging the city's key players.