Newcastle Olympic FC slams Morisson government on ‘corrupt’ sport grants scandal

·

Newcastle Olympic FC director Kosta Patsan has slammed the Morrison government’s community sport grants scheme as being contaminated with “nonsensical graft and corruption”, the Newcastle Herald reports.

The outrage is in response to the federal government’s controversial $100 million Community Sport Infrastructure Grant Program. The government has been accused of allocating funds to sports programs that missed the cut-off date by months.

Mr Patsan appeared on Thursday before a Senate inquiry in Canberra into the so-called sports rorts scandal. The director claims the club’s application met the cut-off date and the program’s criteria. It applied for $500,000 under the program, but missed out.

“We don’t mind if we missed out for very good reasons. What we cannot countenance is … graft and corruption,” Mr Patsan said.

“We are a worthy recipient. We do a lot of good for the community. We got diddled because we’re in a Labor seat and a safe one.”

Application were required to meet a certain criteria, achieving a minimum score of 74 points. Newcastle Olympic scored 76 points.

“The lowest score funded was 39,” ALP Senator Tim Ayres said.

Mr Patsan said the club received a further “kick in the guts” when it realised the government had used images from its application to promote the grants program.

Senator Rice asked Mr Patsan whether he knew the former sport minister Bridget McKenzie had discretion in which grants would be funded.

“If the minister has the discretion to do whatever she likes, you may as well just turn us into another banana republic”, Mr Patsan added.

The club’s $1.3 million plan includes a grandstand and dressing sheds at Darling Street Oval. It had raised $270,000 from volunteers. Newcastle City Council was to match the federal grant. The club said it had been selected as a venue to host training during the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

‘Sad but grateful’: Despina Savva on her elimination from The Voice Australia 2020

Despina Savva was eliminated from The Voice Australia last night but not before performing her amazing rendition of Billie Eilish's 'Bellyache.'

GCM’s cultural initiative grows into worldwide youth movement

Greek Community of Melbourne partnered with the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs to deliver another successful cultural immersion program.

Funeral held for Damascus church victims as Patriarch demands justice

The funeral service for victims of Sunday’s suicide bombing at the Greek Orthodox Church of Prophet Elias in Damascus, Syria was held.