Manchester United captain faces trial for bribe and assault charges in Mykonos

·

UPDATE: Harry Maguire has been found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and repeated attempts of bribery. The Manchester United Captain was given a suspended prison sentence but was dropped from the England National team.

The trial of Manchester United defender Harry Maguire began Tuesday in Greece following his arrest after a brawl last week on the island of Mykonos.

Maguire, who was released from custody over the weekend, was not present at the trial on the nearby island of Syros. After the session started, the court called a recess to consider various procedural issues raised by Maguire’s lawyers.

Read More: Manchester United captain arrested in Mykonos after assaulting police officers [VIDEO]

The England defender and two other unnamed defendants have been charged with assault and swearing in public, and Maguire has also been accused of attempting to bribe a police officer following his arrest.

The Manchester United captain was arrested along with his brother Joe and pal Chris Sharman on Thursday morning after a fight erupted in the street.

Maguire’s top human rights lawyer Alexis Anagnostakis told the trial in Syros that the fight was allegedly started after an “Albanian group” attacked Maguire’s younger sister, Daisy. Daisy was stabbed in the arm, causing her to pass out.

Maguire and his group asked to be taken to hospital after the incident, but were driven to a police station instead, where officers allegedly kicked Maguire on the leg and told him: “Your career is over”.

Photo: Protothema

The lawyer claimed his clients, “did not beat anyone, accost anyone, or injure anyone.”

The court heard how once at the police station, Maguire said: “Do you know who I am? I am the captain of Manchester United, I am very rich, I can give you money, I can pay you, please let us go.”

The bribery charges carry a maximum sentence of up to five years in jail and a fine. The group are able to appeal the decision in a higher court if they are found guilty today.

AP/The Greek Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Businessman George Boulos sentenced to five years jail for trading cocaine for ‘sexual favours’

Justice Rafter sentenced George Boulos to five years’ jail but ordered the term be suspended after serving 14 months behind bars.

German chancellor, Angela Merkel, to visit Athens on October 29

A visit by outgoing German Chancellor Angela Merkel to the Greek city of Athens has been finalised for October 29.

Pope Leo sounds alarm over global tensions as he begins first foreign trip in Turkey

Pope Leo has warned that a “third world war is being fought piecemeal,” urging leaders not to “give in” to rising geopolitical tensions.