Lleyton Hewitt: Nick Kyrgios must be physically and mentally prepared before competing

·

With questions circulating Nick Kyrgios’ absence from two recent hardcourt tournaments in the United States, Lleyton Hewitt has revealed that the Australian has been recovering after being physically and mentally tolled from the Australian Open.

Kyrgios stunned fans across Australia when he kick-started Tennis Australia’s bushfire campaign and played out a fourth round blockbuster against Rafael Nadal at last month’s Australian Open.

Captain of Australia’s Davis Cup team, Lleyton Hewitt, believes Kyrgios needs to be cautious with how many events he participates in, making sure not to overwork himself in the lead up to a grand slam tournament.

Hewitt stressed that Kyrgios should only play when he knows he’s ready, in order to keep his physical and mental toll in check.

“He entered Delray Beach and New York before that but after how many matches and big matches he played at the Australian Open he had to withdraw from New York — he wasn’t ready to go then,” Hewitt told The Age.

“And I think that’s really important for him mentally and physically throughout the year, depending on how he is feeling. Last week in Delray Beach he went there and tried to play, he wasn’t quite ready.

“Now he is in Acapulco, I think it is going to be such an important time for him to pick and choose and the fortunate thing for him is sometimes coming into a Davis Cup tie you want guys to play a lot of matches.

“Nick, on the other hand, is a guy who the ball striking is gonna be there. It is about him being mentally and physically ready to compete and I think this is good for him.”

The comments made by Hewitt followed Kyrgios’ recent outrage over the scheduling of clay court tournaments.

“If you think having all these clay court tournaments whilst we are in the midst of the hard court season is good for the sport and the future of tennis continue to argue,” Kyrgios responding to a post from a user on Twitter.

Sourced by: Nine WWOS

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

A postcard brought to life: Billy Cotsis explores the soul of Patmos

There is something about the freedom of being out on the Aegean. One can visit small islands, more populated islands, deserted beaches or simply go fishing.

From tragedy to triumph: Christina Vithoulkas becomes Australia’s first female para drifter

Vithoulkas never lost her love for extreme sports. Now 30, she has found the same thrill in drifting—a motorsport where cars slide sideways.

Program of the 11th International Summer University in Boston announced

The 11th International Summer University "Greek Language, Culture and Media" will take place from May 24-29 in Boston.

Hellenic Writer’s Association of Australia hold student literary competition

The Hellenic Writers’ Association of Australia has announced its annual Student Literary Competition, titled “From Greece to the World”.

Athens university develops first tool to measure TikTok addiction

A research team from the University of Athens has created the world’s first tool specifically designed to assess addiction to TikTok.

You May Also Like

Greek Patriot anti-aircraft missiles to be deployed in Saudi Arabia

Athens and Riyadh have reportedly agreed on the deployment of Patriot anti-aircraft missiles of the Hellenic Air Force in Saudi Arabia.

Con’s Fine Foods inducted into ‘The City Awards Hall of Fame’

Continental smallgoods retailer, Con’s Fine Foods, was among 12 businesses recognised in the City Awards Hall of Fame.

Penelope Katsavos says she misses ‘feeling safe’ after vicious attack in Melbourne

Penelope Katsavos misses 'feeling safe' after being beaten unconscious in a vicious attack outside of South Yarra Greek Orthodox Church.