‘It was really hard’: Nick Kyrgios on struggle to overcome Wimbledon defeat

·

Nick Kyrgios has opened up about the difficulty of bouncing back from his Wimbledon final loss to Novak Djokovic last month.

The 27-year-old tennis star said it took him “a while to get over that loss” because from a young age he’d always been told to aim for the “highest accolade” that the sport has to offer, which was to win a Wimbledon final.

“And I was so close I almost tasted it. So it was really hard for me to stomach that loss but I feel like I’ve done everything I can to bounce back,” Kyrgios said.

Kyrgios was devastated by his Wimbledon loss. Photo: John Walton / PA via AP.

“I’ve been training hard, my body’s feeling good and I’m serving great, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Kyrgios bounced back to win his second men’s double final alongside Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis, with the pair taking out the final of the Atlanta Open on Sunday.

He also continued his winning ways on Wednesday at the Citi Open as he beat American Marcos Giron.

In some disappointing news for fans though, Kyrgios revealed on Instagram late on Wednesday that he would skip the Laver Cup this year to spend more time with family.

“No Laver Cup for me this year!!!” Kyrgios posted on Instagram. “Just letting you all know. Gotta have that home with my family and beautiful girlfriend.”

The 2022 edition of the Laver Cup will be held in London from September 23-25. Kyrgios has played in all four previous editions of the competition.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Greek citizens can now access national ID and driver’s licence on new wallet app

Greek citizens can now securely upload their national ID and driver’s license onto their smartphone via the newly launched Gov.gr Wallet app.

Hollywood Actor Gerard Butler to run as torchbearer in Sparta for 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games

Scottish actor Gerard Butler is set to run as a torchbearer for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, a local mayor said on Thursday.

Tsitsipas to follow In Sampras’ footsteps in journey to become Greek tennis inspiration

Tsitsipas met his idol, former World No. 1 Pete Sampras, for the first time at Indian Wells. The Greek and his family got to briefly chat with Sampras, an American of Greek origin with whom he happens to share a birthday.