Arthur Papas plans to transform Newcastle Jets ‘into a A-League force’

·

Arthur Papas has spent most of the past 10 years in various football roles across Asia, but when he was asked to return to Australia for a chance to coach the Newcastle Jets in the A-League he jumped at the chance.

The Jets have been in decline for about a decade now, finishing second-last in last year’s season and having only made the A-League finals twice.

But according to The Narooma News, as the team’s new coach, Papas’ ambition and goal is to transform the club “into a A-League force.”

“Over the last 10 years there’s probably been one or two seasons that would be the kind of season that allow the supporters to smile for the majority of them,” Papas told AAP.

Papas has worked closely with Ange Postecoglou.

“I’m under no illusions that it is a challenging job but it’s also an opportunity… It’s been an opportunity to come in here and try to make a difference in the way we go about recruiting, the way we want to play.”

Papas’ revolution has seen a dramatic overhaul of the Jets’ squad.

Club stalwart Nigel Boogaard has retired and is one of 15 players from last season’s squad who won’t be returning, including Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Roy O’Donovan, Connor O’Toole, Johnny Koutroumbis, James Donachie and Ali Abbas.

Greek forward, Savvas Siatravanis, has been signed by the Jets.

In their place Papas has brought in a dozen new faces including fringe Socceroo Matt Jurman, New Zealand international Dane Ingham, Cameroon international Olivier Boumal and Greek forward Savvas Siatravanis.

READ MORE: Newcastle Jets sign on Greek footballer Savvas Siatravanis.

Papas says these changes will set the Jets up for their future.

“I consider it really the first step of what needs to be quite a few steps to give the opportunity for this club to not only just have one good season, but try to create a system that allows them to build year-after-year because I think that’s what our supporters deserve.”

Source: Narooma News.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Carnival festivities cancelled across Greece as two new coronavirus cases found

Two new cases have been tested positive on coronavirus, Greek health authorities announced on Thursday.

Greek Health Ministry issues warning: 13 Attica areas off-limits for swimming

The Greek Health Ministry has published an updated list of coastal areas in Attica where swimming is forbidden due to poor water quality.

Sydney’s Greek, Armenian and Assyrian communities join forces to March for Justice

Sydney's Greek, Armenian and Assyrian communities are being encouraged to participate in the 2021 March for Justice.