UEFA postpone 2020 Euro competition for one year

·

UEFA held crisis talks this morning amid the worldwide coronavirus outbreak and the decision was made to push the Euros tournament back to 2021.

The tournament that was due to open on June 12 in Rome is now scheduled for next year from June 11 to July 11, in the same 12 host nations.

The virus currently “makes football and all life in Europe quite impossible,” UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said.

“We think postponing the Euro is the only (way) to get a chance to the national leagues and to all the club competitions to finish,” Ceferin said.

The UEFA executive committee made the decision after hosting a video conference call with its 55 national member federations.

Photo: The Sun

The European Championship final typically attracts a broadcast audience of 300 million worldwide and the 51-game tournament made UEFA a profit of 830 million euros ($912 million) four years ago.

“Moving Euro 2020 comes at a huge cost for UEFA,” Ceferin said in a statement.

The freeze on games amid the pandemic has also put broadcasting deals worth hundreds of millions of dollars on hold and could lead to the 2019-20 season being annulled in some competitions.

Completing domestic league seasons would allow titles to be awarded and decide entries for the next Champions League and Europa League. If resuming the season is possible, UEFA’s options to complete this season include playing the quarterfinals and semifinals as single games instead of over two legs where each team has a home match.

Sourced by: Associated Press

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

‘A celebration of the Greek culture’: Foundation for Hellenic Studies launches inaugural exhibition

With an event held last week the Foundation for Hellenic Studies launched the By George! exhibition and announced the biennial prize winners.

Schools issue warning as SA Youth Pastor Daniel Menelaou faces child abuse charges abroad

Daniel Menelaou, a former Adelaide youth pastor now facing child abuse material charges in the United States, previously ran school programs.

‘Wild Colonial Greeks’: Peter Prineas to launch new book at Mytilenian House

Sydney writer and historian Peter Prineas will be launching his new book, 'Wild Colonial Greeks', at the Mytilenian House in Sydney on Wednesday, March 3.