Bishop condemns actions of men at Melbourne Epiphany Festival

·

Melbourne’s Greek Orthodox bishop has condemned the actions of three men who broke the rules to grab the coveted wooden cross during the Blessing of the Waters swim.

Bishop Ezekiel of Dervis said he was very upset, and the act was disrespectful and uncivilised.

The annual swim, the high point of the Theofania, or Epiphany Festival at Princes Pier, in Port Melbourne, turned into a Greek drama on Sunday after the trio dived off the pier to chase the cross the bishop had thrown into the bay.

The 25 registered swimmers, who had dived from a boat 100 metres away, paused in confusion as first interloper Mikes Legkos, 33, of Oakleigh, reached the cross before them and held it triumphantly.

‘I caught the cross first’: Mikes Legkos (left) grabbed the cross before the official pack at the Greek Orthodox Blessing of the Waters swim at Princes Pier. Image via Wayne Taylor.

But the leading registered swimmer, Eustratios Manios, 20, was named the winner and later accepted a gold cross necklace from the bishop in front of the crowd of thousands.

After a religious ceremony and speeches, Bishop Ezekiel told The Age the interlopers were wrong.

‘‘There are always people who are without order, and respect,’’ he said. ‘‘We can’t do anything. But [I’d say] next time, to be careful and to obey the order, for it is very important, and makes us distinguished from the animals.

‘‘If we don’t obey the rules and regulations, which we established, and we have, what can we say?’’

‘‘I was very upset because I’ve seen the [other swimmers] trying to swim the distance between the boat and here. And suddenly [Mr Legkos] came from the side.

“That was a fault. I understand, all the people understood, that something that was not right happened. So we leave this for next time.’’

But Mr Legkos, an immigrant from the Greek island of Kos, said he was a legitimate winner. He dived from the pier because he didn’t make it into the official group, which is limited to 25 on a first come, first served basis.

‘‘I feel blessed but a little bit sad, because I caught the cross first,’’ Mr Legkos said.

‘‘And some people said to me to throw it again back, and that’s wrong, because in Greece the person that catches the cross first, he is blessed first.’’

He said an official had allowed him to jump off the pier, and he swam a longer distance than those from the boat.

Eustratios Manios was named the official winner. Image via Wayne Taylor.

The official winner, Mr Manios, was sympathetic, saying if he had been excluded from the 25 entrants, ‘‘I would want to also jump in’’.

He said the organisers should let all prospective entrants on to the boat, or start from the jetty ‘‘so everyone can have a chance to swim’’. However, it was ‘‘a great blessing for the whole year and an honour’’ to win, Mr Manios said.

Another registered swimmer, Nick Zafiropoulos, 49, of Windsor, said it wasn’t about winning. ‘‘The issue is coming here, having an effort making a dive, feeling good about yourself,’’ he said. ‘‘Turn the other cheek. That’s what Jesus would have wanted.’’

Sourced via The Age

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Two Australian artists of Greek and Cypriot heritage named finalists in the Archibald Prize 2022

Two Australian artists of Greek and Cypriot heritage, Nick Stathopoulos and Michael Zavros, have been named finalists in the Archibald Prize.

Karyofyllia Karabeti: ‘It’s liberating to understand the psyche of a heroine’

The iconic figure of Greek theatre and cinema, Karyofyllia Karambeti, opens up to The Greek Herald before the premiere of 'The Murderess.'

Ex-Crown boss, Peter Crinis, to lead pub group as it heads for the ASX

Ex-Crown boss, Peter Crinis, is set to emerge at the helm of a hotel company that will list on the Australian Securities Exchange next year.