Bidding showdown is a surprising Greek family affair

·

Members of the Markakis family unwittingly entered a bidding war with each other for a grand terrace in Stanmore when it went under the hammer.

The five-bedroom, multi-level home on Cavendish St eventually sold at auction for $2.37 million on Saturday, $170,000 over the reserve price.

There were six registered bidders but only two took an active part in the auction, firing off more than 40 bids before auctioneer Ricky Briggs dropped the hammer.

It was only after the auction that the winning buyers realised the underbidders, who had been wearing hats and sunglasses while bidding, were family.

Auctioneer Ricky Briggs received more than 40 bids at the auction of a Stanmore house on Cavendish St. Picture: Julian Andrews I realestate.com.au

Buyer Anthony Markakis, whose father bid on his behalf for the latter part of the auction, said they had no idea they were up against their family.

His father was heard apologising to the underbidders after the auction and said he may have bid differently if he had known who we was up against.

Mr Markakis said he and his partner liked the home because of the scope for improvement and had been looking for a renovation project. “I liked the size, the character. There’s lots of potential. Now we have to get thinking, see what’s feasible,” he said.

Stanmore terrace. Picture: Julian Andrews I realestate.com.au

Selling agent Blake Lowry of Belle Property-Annandale said the sellers were elated with the result.

The property attracted a mix of novice renovators and experienced builders. More than 80 groups inspected the property, Mr Lowry said. “It is a large house for the area and big block,” he said, adding it would cost at least $250,000 to renovate.

“There were a mix of budgets. Some might have done it for $500,000, you could probably spend even more,” Mr Lowry said.

The property was one of close to 500 Sydney homes to go under the hammer this week.

Sourced: realestate.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Greek youth raise funds for new ‘Five Loaves’ initiative in Melbourne

Go Youth Melbourne has raised funds for the newly-established 'Five Loaves' initiative at a trivia night on Saturday, July 2.

Pan-Macedonian Association of NSW kicks off its 40th Dimitria Festival

The Pan-Macedonian Association of New South Wales kick-started its 40th Dimitria Festival on Sunday, September 1.

On this day in 1927: Writer Costas Taktsis was born

Taktsis is described as a “landmark of post-war literature in Greece’ and is best known for his 1962 book 'The Third Wedding Wreath'.