SA-Best candidate, Ian Markos, raises concerns over government debt and spending

·

South Australia’s Liberal government has released its policy costings and says it will not be making any further funding commitments, ABC News reports.

The expenditure list released today shows $288 million in new funding is required to pay for the Liberal Party’s election commitments. 

SA Treasurer, Rob Lucas, said the announcement was an attempt to “force” Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas to explain how Labor’s pre-election promises will be funded. 

Mr Malinauskas said all of Labor’s policies had been fully costed and that he would be announcing all of the budget numbers on Thursday.

SA-BEST candidates Keyvan Abak (far left) and Ian Markos (far right) with MLCs Frank Pangallo and Connie Bonaros.

READ MORE: Ian Markos named lead SA-BEST Upper House candidate.

In response, SA Best’s lead Upper House candidate, Ian Markos, accused the government and other major parties of being dishonest in their insistence that taxes would not increase to pay for their promises.

“BS has its own sound and that’s what you’re hearing now,” Mr Markos told ABC News.

If elected to the Legislative Council, Mr Markos said SA Best would advocate for wide-ranging tax reforms, including to stamp duty, payroll tax and slashing the “outrageous cost” of registering land titles.

READ MORE: ‘Feels good to help’: Paul Alexandrides to contest seat of Colton in SA election.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

NSW Liberals to take Alex Hawke MP to the Supreme Court

Federal Immigration Minister, Alex Hawke, will head to the Supreme Court after the Liberal Party of NSW launched a legal challenge.

Celtic record first league win with Ange Postecoglou in charge

Greek Australian coach, Ange Postecoglou, has recorded his first Scottish Premiership win as Celtic manager, with the Glasgow side thrashing Dundee 6-0.

Ukrainian President meets with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in Istanbul

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy met with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in Istanbul, as part of his official visit to Turkey.