NSW building chief’s resignation letter reveals concerns about Eleni Petinos and John Barilaro

·

The former New South Wales Building Commissioner, David Chandler, raised concerns in his resignation letter about the relationship between sacked fair trading minister, Eleni Petinos, and a major property developer that hired John Barilaro after he quit parliament.

The resignation letter sent by Chandler last month was released through parliament on Thursday.

According to The Guardian, the letter reveals Chandler raised concerns about what he described as “the advised relationship” between Ms Petinos and developer Coronation Property.

In the letter, Chandler says his concerns “crystallised” after he issued a stop-work order on a 790-apartment development in Merrylands owned by Coronation earlier this year.

An artist’s impression of the Coronation Property high-rise development at Merrylands.

The letter confirms Chandler was contacted by both Petinos’ office and Barilaro, who had by that stage left politics, shortly after the order was issued.

The building commissioner said he subsequently met with Mr Barilaro to answer his questions.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Mr Barilaro also met with Ms Petinos in the weeks before the stop-work order was lifted on July 4, 2022.

Eleni Petinos was sacked last month.

Giving evidence at a parliamentary inquiry on Monday, Mr Barilaro said he was no longer employed by Coronation at the time of the meeting which was to celebrate his appointment as NSW trade commissioner in New York.

Petinos, who was sacked last month after accusations of bullying, maintains she had no involvement with the lifting of the stop-work order, and it was a decision made by the Office of the Building Commissioner.

“The issuing and revocation of stop-work orders is a matter for the Building Commissioner, not the minister,” she said in a statement on Wednesday.

Source: The Guardian and ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Australia’s minimum and award wages to increase from July 1

Australia's minimum wage and award wages will increase by 3.75 per cent from July 1, the Fair Work Commission (FWC) has announced.

Kelly Batsiokis grateful for return of stolen painting to SA hospital

Kelly Batsiokis' painting, which was taken from the Lyell McEwin Hospital in Adelaide, has been recovered by authorities.

Women, caregivers, and clean skies: An opinion on the case for Work From Home laws 

The Allan Labor Government has announced it will legislate Working From Home at least two days a week for at least office based workers.