Skeleton discovered in Pompeii shows first evidence of Greek language

·

Archaeologists in Pompeii have discovered a well-preserved skeleton during excavations of a tomb in the east of the ancient city’s urban center. 

A skull, as well as bones and fabric fragments, were found in the tomb in the necropolis of Porta Sarno. 

An inscription of the tomb suggests that its owner, a freed slave named Marcus Venerius Secundio, helped organise performances in Greek Pompeii. 

Experts say it is the first confirmation that the Greek language was used alongside Latin at the time. 

“That performances in Greek were organised is evidence of the lively and open cultural climate which characterised ancient Pompeii,” the director of the Archaeological Park of Pompeii, Gabriel Zuchtriegel, said in a statement announcing the discovery.

Mr. Zuchtriegel said Marcus Venerius clearly had been able to make a living for himself after he was freed as a slave, given the “monumental” size of his burial tomb.

“He didn’t become super rich, but certainly he reached a considerable level of wealth,” Mr Zuchtriegel said in an interview with the Associated Press. 

The eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD destroyed Pompeii. 

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Roger Federer and Tsitsipas produce biggest age gap in ATP Finals history

The ATP Finals in London closed the official ATP season two weeks ago, with Stefanos Tsitsipas claiming the title in front of the better-ranked...

Members to vote in long-awaited Mytilenian Brotherhood of Sydney elections

Members of the Mytilenian Brotherhood of Sydney and NSW are set to head to the polls this Sunday, April 19, as the long-awaited elections.

Patriarch of Alexandria lays foundation stone for Madagascar school gifted by Australia

Patriarch of Alexandria has laid the foundation stone for a new school in Madagascar funded by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia.