EU will vow to stop ‘uncontrolled’ migration from Afghanistan, draft statement says

·

European Union interior ministers will say on Tuesday they are determined to act to prevent uncontrolled migration from Afghanistan, according to a draft statement seen by Reuters.

EU governments are eager to avoid a repeat of the chaotic influx of migrants in 2015 that caught the bloc unprepared and sowed divisions among EU states, fuelling support for far-right parties as camps in Greece and other countries swelled.

“Based on lessons learned, the EU and its member states stand determined to act jointly to prevent the recurrence of uncontrolled large-scale illegal migration movements faced in the past, by preparing a coordinated and orderly response,” the ministers will say, according to the draft, dated August 28.

READ MORE: ‘We are protecting our borders’: Mitsotakis meets EU Parliament VP to discuss Afghanistan.

EU will vow to stop ‘uncontrolled’ migration from Afghanistan.

The draft did not contain specific details of new measures.

Ministers will gather for an emergency meeting on Tuesday in Brussels to discuss the fallout from the Afghanistan crisis. The EU last week announced more aid money for Afghanistan as well as surrounding countries.

Interior ministers will reiterate that promise to give more money, although delivering aid had become more complicated since the Taliban took back control of the country, according to EU officials.

READ MORE: ‘We will not be the gateway of Europe’: Greek ministers respond to Afghanistan crisis.

File: Alkis Konstantinidis/Reuters.

“The EU should also strengthen the support to the countries in Afghanistan’s immediate neighbourhood to ensure that those in need receive adequate protection primarily in the region,” the ministers will say.

Although Turkey helped contain the 2015 crisis with EU funding by taking in millions of Syrians fleeing, Ankara is less willing to receive many Afghans as the COVID-19 pandemic and an economic slump strain social and security services.

The ministers will pledge to stop new security threats from Afghanistan for EU citizens, as well as making the right security checks for those evacuated, said the draft statement. 

Source: Reuters.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Eleftheria Arvanitaki: ‘Whenever I see Greeks abroad there is emotion’

Eleftheria Arvanitaki visited the Greek Centre in Melbourne today ahead of her performance at the Greek Community of Melbourne's Grecian Ball

University students meet to discuss Greek language studies and better collaboration

CUGA and NUGAS held a National Conference to formalise their partnership and speak frankly on the state of Modern Greek at tertiary level.

Melbourne businessman engaged in stoush with chemist Bruce Kambouris

Ambrosios “Bruce” Kambouris, the inventor of Aqua Botanical technology, has been awarded compensation following a legal battle.