Whiddon CEO Chris Mamarelis on impact of migrant reforms to aged care

·

After the Albanese government announced an increase in the minimum salary for sponsoring a temporary migrant from July 1, aged care providers across Australia have been pleading for their sector not to be included in the change.

According to The Australian Financial Review (AFR), the migrant reform will see the minimum salary for sponsoring a temporary skilled migrant increase to $70,000 from $53,900, where it had been frozen for a decade.

The Chief Executive Officer of aged care provider Whiddon, Chris Mamarelis, told the AFR that the increase to $70,000 would make obsolete their company-specific labour agreements (CSLAs) with the Department of Home Affairs.

This would mean losing access to potential candidates they had been trying to recruit and rendering the tens of thousands of dollars spent on formulating the agreements wasted.

Whiddon CEO Chris Mamarelis on impact of migrant reforms to aged care.

“It just seems a little illogical…” Mr Mamarelis said.

“Anyone in our pipeline right now… we have a month to try and get those people over the line. And that’s just not going to happen with the time it takes to get things processed by the department and all the other logistical issues that go with it.”

According to the AFR, the changes will push aged care providers on to Labor’s new Industry Labour Agreement, which has a minimum salary of $51,222.

This reform comes at a challenging time for the aged care sector, which is facing an acute shortage of workers and mounting financial difficulties.

In response to criticism, Federal Immigration Minister Andrew Giles said that the Industry Labour Agreement is about cleaning up the former government’s mess.

Source: The Australian Financial Review

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Samians thank Australian Embassy in Greece for providing essentials after earthquake

Earthquake-impacted residents of Samos been provided free cleaning products by the Australian Embassy in Greece.

Marcus Stoinis could lose chance to play Test cricket after mentoring young gun

Greek Australian, Marcus Stoinis, has unselfishly passed on his knowledge of cricket to Cameron Green and it could cost him his Aussie spot.

Criminal court case over COVID deaths at St Basil’s Fawkner is delayed

A key hearing in the criminal court case of St Basil’s Homes For The Aged in Victoria has been delayed after an “oversight.”