University of Queensland student Drew Pavlou faces two year suspension for public criticism of Queensland relations with China

·

Greek Australian student activist Drew Pavlou is facing a two year suspension from the University of Queensland after public criticism of Queensland’s links to Chinese Government organisations.

A closed disciplinary hearing considered whether Drew Pavlou breached the university’s code of conduct, mainly stemming from his activism on campus against the Chinese Communist Party.

On Friday evening, Mr Pavlou tweeted he had been “expelled for two years” and had been given “no reasoning” and was threatened with consequences if he breached the confidentiality of [UQ’s] decision.

Mr Pavlou has long been critical of the university’s ties to Chinese Government organisations, including the Confucius Institute.

6 months away from graduation, Drew claims that his suspensions shows “how deep the Chinese Government influence goes in Australia and in other countries of the world.”

In a statement, UQ’s Chancellor Peter Varghese said he was advised of the outcome of the disciplinary action on Friday.

View image on Twitter

“There are aspects of the findings and the severity of the penalty which personally concern me,” he said.

“In consultation with the Vice-Chancellor, who has played no role in this disciplinary process, I have decided to convene an out-of-session meeting of UQ’s senate next week to discuss the matter.”

UQ has maintained the disciplinary hearing was not in relation to Mr Pavlou’s criticism of the university’s relationship with China.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Spiros Filidis’ accused murderer laughs as he faces Victorian court

The accused murderer of 46-year-old Spiros Filidis was caught breaking out in laughter during a court hearing.

Arthur Sinodinos AO welcomes Australia-US critical minerals deal

Former Australian ambassador to the US Arthur Sinodinos has welcomed the newly signed Australia–US critical minerals investment deal.

Seven jailed for life for murder of Greek football fan Alkis Kampanos

Seven out of the 12 defendants convicted for the murder of 19 year old Alkis Kampanos in February 2021 have been sentenced to life.