UK Prime Minister called on to return the Parthenon Marbles ‘in final days’

·

UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has been told that he should “in his final days before being sacked” arrange the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Athens as he previously advocated, The Independent reports.

This comment was made by Labour Party politician, Lord Campbell-Savours, during a Parliament sitting today.

To make his point, Campbell-Savours highlighted a 1986 article written by Johnson when he was a student at Oxford University, where he called for the ancient sculptures to be repatriated.

READ MORE: Parthenon marbles should never have been removed, Boris Johnson wrote in a 2012 letter

Labour Party politician, Lord Campbell-Savours.

“How does the minister respond to Boris Johnson’s earlier, elegant words of wisdom when he wrote in more romantic times: ‘The Elgin marbles should leave this northern whisky-drinking guilt-culture, and be displayed where they belong: in a country of bright sunshine and the landscape of Achilles, the shadowy mountains and the echoing sea’?” Campbell-Savours asked.

“Would it not be a generous act in his final days before being sacked to arrange for their return and we could retain replicas?”

READ MORE: ABC speaks with Greek Australians fighting for the return of the Parthenon marbles to Athens.

In response, UK Culture Minister, Lord Parkinson of Whitley Bay, said: “Fortunately Government policy is not made by the things ministers wrote when we were undergraduates.”

Calls grow for the return of the Parthenon Marbles.

This parliamentary debates comes as Johnson currently battles to retain the Tory Party leadership.

READ MORE: UK PM rebuffs Greek PM’s demand for talks on Parthenon marbles.

In a meeting with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis last year, Johnson ruled out discussing the Parthenon marbles, saying it was a matter for the British Museum.

This refusal for repatriation comes despite UNESCO stipulating that intergovernmental talks should take place to resolve the long-running dispute.

READ MORE: UNESCO puts pressure on UK to hold talks with Greece over Parthenon Marbles.

Source: The Independent.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Well-known Greek Australian brewery closes down due to Melbourne lockdown

Melbourne’s Fall & Rise Brewing will sell the business after less than a year in operation due to the economic impact caused by COVID-19.

Irrepressible 5 star Sydney Olympic performance puts Sutherland to the sword

It was one-way traffic in the Match of the Round as Sydney Olympic smashed the Sutherland Sharks 5-1 at Valentine Sports Park.

One dead as Keratea wildfire consumes over 1,500 hectares

A massive wildfire that broke out early Friday afternoon in Keratea, on the eastern outskirts of Athens, has killed one person.