Uber settles class action lawsuit with Australian taxi operators for $272 million

·

Uber has agreed to pay $271.8 million to Australian taxi and hire car drivers, operators and licence holders to compensate them for losing income and licence values when the rideshare giant moved into the Australian market.

This settlement, which is Australia’s fifth largest, follows a five-year legal battle.

More than 8,000 taxi and hire car owners are part of the class action suit, which was filed in 2019. The lawsuit alleges that Uber Australia and its parent companies knowingly operated illegally and therefore had an unfair advantage over taxi and hire car drivers who were complying with the law.

Lead plaintiff, Nick Andrianakis, described the settlement as a win for small businesses, taxi drivers, and operators within the taxi and hire car industry.

Uber
Uber is set to pay more than $200 million. Photo: Britannica.

“I’ve lost my passion for work,” Mr Andrianakis said.

“I lost my [taxi licence] plates that were half a million dollars each. And I lost my income that provided food on the table for my family.”

Mr Andrianakis said he was previously forced out of the taxi business when Uber was introduced in Australia. He revealed he had lost more than $1 million in total.

“My family has always been into taxis, my father drove taxis… my son drove taxis while he was at uni,” he said.

“But when Uber came to our shores illegally, like pirates, they broke every law, every regulation.”

The trial continues on Monday in the Supreme Court of Victoria but is expected to be abandoned.

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Second Greek Youth Diaspora Symposium held in Athens

The 2nd Conference of Young People of the Greek Diaspora – Greek Youth Diaspora Symposium, concluded its proceedings in Athens.

Pope Leo XIV in Turkey: Dialogue and the renewed push for a unified Easter date

Pope Leo XIV’s first apostolic journey to Istanbul marked a historic moment in Catholic–Orthodox relations, bringing three days of prayer.

Federal Court rules against Jason Karas in multimillion-dollar partnership dispute

The Federal Court has found Adelaide lawyer Jason Karas engaged in a “dishonest and fraudulent design” to establish a global legal venture.

Election results for GOCNSW Board 2025–2027 confirmed

The Greek Orthodox Community of New South Wales (GOCNSW) held its Board election on Sunday, November 30, 2025.

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

You May Also Like

Beijing Games torch lighting ceremony in ancient Olympia facing boycott

Hundreds of Greek police officers are expected to lock down the town in a bid to ensure there are no disruptions to the ceremony.

How the Greek Diaspora of Sydney have connected with their homeland after a year of closed borders

From a powerful orchestral performance by George Ellis to the return of the 'Olympus' Ivy Pool event, music is one of the many ways people are re-invigorating their connection to Greece.

Global fallout as US strikes Iran nuclear sites

Tensions in the Middle East have escalated sharply after the United States launched a major strike on Iran’s underground nuclear facilities.